Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Coverage and speed has nosedived recently

I have noticed over the past year or so that coverage and reliability of the data conection has deteriorated significantly. 

Recently we had a technical issue with the EE mast near our house but that has been fixed now. While on my way to work I used to get near full signal throughout the journey but this has got very patchy even while driving through the city centre and major motorways.

Is there any reason for the signal quality or data connection quality to change in the past year?

It's got to the point where sat nav and music streaming keeps stopping randomly on journeys, the same journeys I have taken before without any issues. I haven't changed the handset and would expect lower load on the masts currently as the roads are noticeably quieter.

Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Coverage and speed has nosedived recently

Hello nlegge,

Sorry to hear that your experiencing signal issues whilst driving to and from work and that it's annoying for your music to be cutting out like that. Can I ask you to try a different handset just so we can rule the handset out? Without knowing your journey, we're unable to check whether the masts along it are being repaired or have planned works being done to it. Can you check on the EE checker to see if there is anything popping up in the region?

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good afternoon Lisa, 

I have done some digging on the EE site for one of the patchy spots near the University of Leeds in the city centre using a post code for one of their buildings and came away confused. The map shows excellent signal for both outdoor and indoor for 3g and 4g and states in text there is excellent signal even for 5g which I don't have but its good to know its available. 

I then updated the search with the same postcode but added in a similar phone model as my model is not listed. Xperia xz premium vs the xz2 premium 

The checker then states in text only that no 3g or 4g signal would be available...........

I checked to see if the frequency used by my phone somehow wasn't fully compatible with the frequency used by virgin, as I also discovered not all ee bands are available for virgin users. The phone specs seem to match so no issues there.

So I checked another buildings post code where I don't have issues and the checker stated that I will have excellent signal until I put a xperia model in and it changes to no signal........ I'm not sure I trust the EE database on xperia phones now as this is not the case. Changing the model to Samsung or iPhone matches the text then matches the map. 

I don't have another phone to try but did take a trip with my parter also on virgin mobile and our dropouts matched as best as we could ascertain from signal meters on the phones and trying to search Google in a Web browser when signal was low.

Im wondering if there has been any changes to ee infrastructure that would be detrimental to xperia phones specifically and why the checker seems to think these models are so bad signal wise, I checked online but couldn't find any reports of these models having issues above any other manufacturer. 

Do I need to move to a provider that uses the 3 or Vodafone network for compatibility with my phone model or is it just a result of the 5g upgrades and will be back to normal soon or maybe just high usage causing slowdowns?

As stated before I have not had issues in the past with the same handset which is still in excellent condition in the same locations so am a little confused as to what if anything has changed to narrow down the issue.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HI 

Can you run a test in the following website here, this should give you a more accurate result as this is run by OFCOM, You you do find that there is a major signal issue we would usually let you leave the contract as you are not able to get the full service. We could look at changing the sim card for you to see if this resolved the issue? Chris 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the ofcom link as it looks far closer to real life than the EE checker. 

I also found this from ee:

https://youtu.be/w_05P1eLpdA 

It shows a demo of the fastest 4g download speed in the UK using the same model of phone I have.

I have also seen on social media groups that there are other people and businesses in the LS6 and LS7 areas with similar issues since lockdown started and aren't getting very far with ee to solve the problem.

Im glad I'm not the only one and as such we may get somewhere with it soon but it is still frustrating it's so hard getting accurate information and strange that wide areas in different locations which have had no issues before are suddenly becoming dead zones.

Are ee changing their infrastructure causing issues or having more problems with masts? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for coming back to us nlegge,

If you're able to provide me with any postcodes where you're currently struggling I can use a piece of software on my system that will allow me to identify where the mast is and what state the mast is in.

I'll also be able to see if there's any building or wooded areas that may be obstructing the signal to your handset

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are ee changing their infrastructure causing issues or having more problems with masts? 

The only general infrastructure changes on EE are to do with the phasing out of 3G. At this stage this is limited to the reduction of 3G bandwidth in some locations.

However, that would not effect your 4G signal and data speed. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As increasing numbers of EE customers are using 4G for their voice calls, the amount of voice traffic on EE's 2G & 3G networks is continuing to drop. So the 2G & 3G spectrum allocated to the legacy networks is being reduced further in many areas as @enlli has mentioned, in order to increase further, 4G bandwidth. Parts of central London is a notable exception where 2G is concerned, but otherwise, no there have been no countrywide changes to EE's network that would cause these issues.

It's also worth pointing out that the handset-lookup on EE's coverage checker is so that the coverage prediction can take account of the additional extended-range coverage afforded by 800Mhz. Virgin doesn't have access to this, so you will need to choose a non-VoLTE compatible device in order to get an accurate result.

A good comparison for @nlegge to possibly make, would be for them to find any friends or relations who are on pay-monthly with EE-direct (who therefore have full access to EE's 4G-voice & data services), and see if they're having similar problems. Or indeed anyone who use any of the other EE-MVNOs, such as 1p-mobile, Asda Mobile or others - these should have the same service as Virgin does.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks