Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Contradiction of Virgin vs. phone call barring settings - and told to get new SIM????

Hi,

whilst I experienced no outgoing call barring when roaming, also my account and customer services confirmed no such call barring, my Honor 10 Lite phone call barring settings show barring for outgoing calls when roaming.  Also, I cannot change the setting as the barring password was never set by me and any default combination says operation failed.

When I rang customer services about this, suddenly was told that I need new SIM card - with possibly few hours of disruption to my services when I activate the new card (?!?!).

I was so far not told at all by anybody from Virgin that I need new SIM card for whatever purposes. I am just concerned that customer services may go for a drastic solution for something specific? If I had not rang them now about above specific issue, would never have found out (they claim in 2018 there was an SMS about it - sorry, no, I only had messages about "we will call you about exciting new offers" etc.)

Whilst I am trying to make sure this is really necessary, especially as I shall be traveling again in very near future, any information / confirmation would be much appreciated - thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contradiction of Virgin vs. phone call barring settings - and told to get new SIM????

Hey Palmyra08, 

Really sorry to hear that you recently had an issue when abroad, this ins't what we like to hear. 

Could you just expand a little for me, when you were away and tried to use any out going services you found them barred?

Could you receive any calls or messages?

Could you confirm what your SIM card is at the moment? 

I think it's best that we also have a closer look at your account to see what's happened, so I'll pop you a personal message and we'll take it from there. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contradiction of Virgin vs. phone call barring settings - and told to get new SIM????

Dear Emma,

as first part of my first sentence stated: "whilst I experienced no outgoing call barring when roaming, also my account and customer services confirmed no such call barring" ==> I have NOT experienced any problems while away.

As per immediately following 2nd part of that sentence, I am stating that DESPITE this, settings on the phone (which read settings from SIM) state that I have call barring. 

This contradiction is what prompted me to ring VM, and was told new SIM card needed. 

Not to repeat the specifics in my original post, please note this re-stated contradiction as the core issue - and questioning the information given to me about needing new SIM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

If the team suggested that you needed a new SIM palmyra08, I'm reluctant to go against what they said as they could see your account and advised that a new sim was needed from what they had seen on your account.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Good point, what is remarkable, though: if there was such a need for an updated SIM, how come for many months nobody got in touch, via any channel?

They spammed with utterly pointless and tendentious marketing SMS and calls, but something like this is not notified? Even more interestingly, if I had not noticed this settings discrepancy, how long would they not have told me about a "necessary" SIM card change and what would have happened if/when ultimately the current one is deprecated? 

VM communications when it comes to actually relevant and crucial information has been absolutely diabolical in the case of every single service, so mobile-related matters are no exception it seems. But irrelevant nonsense is N times communicated and spammed with.

Anyway, I explicitly asked them to postpone any surprise "necessary" SIM change until after my next trip, in case typical hell will be unleashed just while I am traveling...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Came across this on EE forum. Wonder if it to do with the make of phone as these settings don't appear on my S8 or S9

Hopefully this may help others...I have roaming activated on my account but noticed that one of the call barring settings is turned on (Huawei P20 Pro). Barring is located unter settings, wireless and network, call settings, call barring. The item which was selected on was 'Outgoing calls during international roaming'. To select it off it asks for a barring password which neither I or EE (up to tech level 2) had any idea of. They suggested I contact Huawei which of course was never going to be of much help as it reads these settings from the network not the handset. Turns out what you need to ask them to do is a sim card refresh/reset which basically involves EE resetting all the sim card setting back to default.  You turn the handset off for a minute when its done and upon rebooting the call barring should clear.  It still asks for an (unknown) password if you wanted to turn barring on for any reason, but the sim card reset achieved the aim of clearing the barr.  I'm surprised this was not known by tech support.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Superb, thank you, this is exactly what I noticed - and customer support was utterly unaware of any of this. And to me, total replacement of SIM card just sounded like they are throwing the baby out with the bathwater as usual.... going for a big drastic "solution" in hope of solving something.

I wonder how with Virgin, whatever underlying current network they are using, would one get them to do such SIM refresh'reset.... I am traveling soon so dreading to go through an adventure where they will mess it up much more... My confidence level of what they are doing is pretty much zero at this point.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi palmyra08

Has a new SIM been ordered?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

As I stated before, and I re-quote here : "Anyway, I explicitly asked them to postpone any surprise "necessary" SIM change until after my next trip, in case typical hell will be unleashed just while I am traveling..."

I have to say, in this very short thread this is 2nd time I repeat / re-quote statements, earlier on I had to repeat the very opening first sentence of the very first post. 

It just shows the attention to detail - i.e not even reading the very first sentence in first post, and the quality - and when one rings so-called customer services, then it is 100x worse. 

Also, the question is totally divergent from the core issue stated from the start: why a new SIM is to be ordered (if this is actually true and not just, as stated before, just an attempt to use a blunt instrument in hope of solving something they do not understand)  - and why VM has not said anything, if this is actually true, until I happened to ring when spotted contradiction in settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In some cases a refresh of the settings is all that is required to ensure you experience no issues when roaming, but I understand there are certain batches of SIM's that would require replacing altogether, due to network migration that has taken place since the SIM's were provisioned.

I appreciate that this is something you've been reluctant to do, however it may be the best option if your SIM is one of those that may experience issues. Usually those with a potentially problematic SIM would be notified, but it may be that the notification never made it to you for some reason.

There's no reason why a SIM replacement should cause problems - we can send a SIM you activate yourself when you receive it so there's minimal disruption to your services. If you'd prefer to see how you get on with your existing SIM we can check to make sure the settings have been refreshed, and fingers crossed you will not encounter any problems. If one of those options sounds OK with you just let us know and we'll get it sorted.

Tom