Menu
speczz
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Contract to SIM only

My current virgin mobile contract ends within the next month but it's in my mums name and I want to go SIM only in my name. Is it possible to swap my number over from contract to SIM only?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contract to SIM only

Yes, just get a PAC code by text for the number and give that to whoever you're going SIM only with. That would be the way of doing it even if you are staying with VM, because from the company's point of view it's your mum ending her contract and leaving, and you're a new customer joining.

Bear in mind that currently the number is probably supported by the EE network, the new SIM only deal will be on Vodafone if you stay with VM, and in the next few years that may well transition to O2, so check for any coverage issues that matter to you.

In your shoes I'd be looking at newer providers who don't have legacy call centre business models, so people like giggaff, smarty, Tesco Mobile, ID Mobile because their on line account management will be better, but again check who provides the physical network in case that affects your coverage.  And finally, it usually makes more sense to have 30 day rolling SIM only contracts, and avoids lengthy lock-ins.  Long SIM only contracts are a touch cheaper, but that's no good if the mast near your house is decommissioned and the new arrangement has worse signal, or if your circumstances change and you move somewhere where there's only coverage from another network. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ashpole
Up to speed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You might find this helpful, on Martin Lewis’ website when searching for a mobile deal, the filter option lists  the main networks with a list under each of who uses them. It’s accurate for new contracts or sign ups.  The list will appear here once it’s been checked!

624A44E7-04CC-4420-8F01-8934C78CC2BE.jpeg

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @speczz

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding changing your contract that is currently under your mum's name, to your name and a SIM only contract.

As you will be a new customer joining once your mum ends her contract, the best thing do do would be to text 'PAC' and your date of birth (in DD/MM/YYYY format) to 65075 For example: PAC 01/03/1984.

This will give you a PAC code, simply give this to us when you sign up as a new customer for your SIM only contract.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Serena

0 Kudos
ashpole
Up to speed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Serena_C

Does that work when it’s intra-network?
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ashpole wrote:
@Serena_C

Does that work when it’s intra-network?

No it doesn't. Best bet is to PAC out to another network and then PAC in again when ready.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Oh gosh, my apologies.

I am so sorry that I misadvised on this, I did not realise it would not work for intra-network. I have learned a new thing today! Thank you for offering a better solution @enlli

Best wishes,

Serena

0 Kudos