Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Continuation of Service

I have a Nokia 1100 with a Virgin sim which I have had now for 16 years !  It was purchased for emergencies in the car etc and occasional call when away from home. I was under the impression that if it was used within periods of 6 months it would keep functioning, this includes rare top ups of course and it has all worked fine so far.  I am finding that I need to use it more often now for banking and other verification issues so I need to top up again soon. Due to age/lockdown I was going to ask a third party to take my card to a local shop to top up, but on looking online there is an intimation that this has discontinued. Is tis the case ?  There also seems to be some chatter about price increases too,but I have not noticed anything related to this as yet. I wish to continue with the status quo as I have no need or use for a modern smartphone or it's attendant monthly cost. Any comment, advice or guidance would be appreciated.  Silvasonic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Continuation of Service

Is it still working? If you have no credit see if someone can call you to check it is still connected. 

They seem to have reduced usage to 90 days although lots of sites still say 180

Last year this happened 

Virgin Mobile make changes to pay as you go charges. Customers will have to make a flat payment of £2 per service on each day they use their mobile for calls, texts and data. The changes to Virgin Mobile pay as you go plans mean customers will be charged £2 whether they make calls lasting one minute or 199 minutes.

I'm not sure if everyone has been changed over. If you have it's expensive for what you want.

Traditional PAYG appears to be in the process of being phased out across  the network  No new customers on Virgin, O2 and 3, 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Continuation of Service

Thank You enlli for your comments.
Yes all seems to be in order as I have just called 789 and got a balance advice. I will have to keep vigilant on the 90 days that you mention.
I am not making outgoing calls or texts , it is just for " one time passwords " , e-mail account verifications and the like. I have found a third party site that does top ups for a minimal fee which looks very easy to do as I keep my distance from Virgin. Silvasonic.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Continuation of service (part 2 )

I understand that Virgin uses EE network , would anyone know if  a sim from another provider also using EE would work in my old Nokia 1100.?.

After 16 years perhaps it is time I moved on . I have looked at a Nokia 216 at £30 from Argos couple with sim from 1p mobile at £30 for a year without top up . Would this be a good deal in the current market ?

Any comments etc would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Continuation of service (part 2 )

ASDA and PlusNet work off EE

1p Mobile looks cheap but you do have to top up with a minimum £10 every 120 days. So if the Argos deal gives you the phone and SIM for a year at £30 that looks good

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks enlli , it is actually £30 for the phone and £30 for the sim. Silvasonic.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Please forgive me for coming back to you enlli . As you may have guessed I am getting on a bit (79) ,home alone and in lockdown so no one else to ask for guidance.
Do you think it would be a good move to get one of these handsets with dual sim provision ? I could put my Virgin in one slot until it runs out and the 1p mobile in the other slot for general use. There seems to be a myriad of these models on the market at very cheap prices too. Do not need internet access so it would just be 2g. Comments appreciated . Silvasonic
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well I'm a youngster at 72 but have been running dual SIM for some time. My main network is Vodafone, but I have GiffGaff for back up.

Can't see a problem in what you want to do.