Menu
Dazzahooz
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Consumer Rights/Law

Hi there, does anyone have any experience with consumer law/rights? I have an iPhone 11 that was bought/ordered November 2019 with Virgin Mobile.

In December 2020 the battery had swollen pushing the phone apart and popping the screen out. The phone was just a month out of warranty at the time, clearly there is a technical fault with the battery and it does not seem fit for purpose. Do I have any position on this legally in terms of consumer rights/law with the device not being fit for purpose. 

The phone has been taken on a three year contract and has only lasted one year. 

Any help welcome. 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Consumer Rights/Law

Hello

Too my knowledge it is Apple that cover the repair of phone that experience a swollen battery, the best people to discuss that would be Apple https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250889116 you can take the phone too any Apple Store where it can be examined and if it is down to the battery it will be repaired / replaced free of charge.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Dazzahooz
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mark. 

Took it to an Apple store yesterday and interestingly they said to take it back to the provider (Virgin Mobile) as the contract is with them. It was one month out of warranty when the battery started to swell on a three-year contract. The device in my opinion is not fir for purpose and the issue should be adressed by Virgin/Apple. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I always thought swollen batteries were dealt with by the manufacturer as they are keen to see the reason for the failure as it is a safety issue. Obviously Apple play their own game.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos