cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly have 4G but no data loading

Banyard101
Joining in

Hi all, I’m really hoping this is just a problem with my sim however since changing to Virgin from EE I’ve been so disappointed with the level of service!

My phone is showing 4G probably 30% of the time and the rest I’m only getting 3G, despite them saying I should have 4G coverage pretty much everywhere I go. 

However almost all of the time I have 4G/3G, nothing loads!! The download speed is terrible and upload is abysmal!! As an example, it’s taken me 15 minutes simply to get to this page to post! I’ve tried doing the usual such as airplane mode on/off, resetting phone, resetting network settings but nothing seems to speed up my data. 

Is there anything else I can try or is this simply the level of coverage Virgin offer? In which case please pray for me as I’m a couple of months in a 3 year contract…

Thanks all.

7 REPLIES 7

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What does https://status.o2.co.uk/ give you?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Banyard101 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

We're sorry to hear about the problem you're experiencing 😔

Have you tried checking your phone's settings to make sure you are connected to a network? If so, have you also tried checking on the signal strength in your area with our coverage checker? You can do so by clicking here

Please pop back to us whenever you're ready and we'll do our very best to get to the bottom of this for you.

Regards,

Daniel

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The coverage checker will only tell you the expected signal level. It is possible to have good coverage but poor data, particularly if there is a fault or the network is oversubscribed in that location.

Status checker is best

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Coverage checker for me says 4G ‘seamless connectivity and mobile internet’

Coverage checker for me says 4G ‘seamless connectivity and mobile internet’

Hey @Banyard101,

Thanks for getting back to us, did you also run a check here to see if there is a possible outage affecting the network?

Alternatively, can you please check the SIM in a different handset and let us know if this still experiences the same issues.

Thanks. Joe

cje85
Trouble shooter

Unfortunately, O2 (the network Virgin uses) is heavily oversubscribed in many areas, causing very slow data. The problem you're experiencing may just be the normal level of service in your area.