Menu
GeekySimian
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Connect app not checking SIM

Hi, I hope someone can help.

Since moving to the Connect App my phone gets stuck at the "Checking SIM" page. The app switches off the WiFi on the phone and asks me to switch on mobile data, which is already on and can be used. It then gets stuck asking me to switch on mobile data.

I've restarted the phone, switched data off and on, and reinstalled the app numerous times but it's the same each time. It's been going on for months but Virgin won't let me put a call through, and don't return my emails.

The phone is on a SIM only contract. It's unusual - Doogee S60 running Android 7. I've got plenty of data left and the WiFi is working fine.

I can send screen grabs if it helps.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connect app not checking SIM

Hi GeekySimian

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. My apologies for the delayed reply.

Are you able to try the SIM in a different phone and test the app out?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

GeekySimian
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi John_GS,

Thanks for the reply and the advice.

My old phone won't download the app, and the battery is so dead I don't get much time on it before it dies (even with the charger on) so I've not had much time to experiment.

However, whilst I was trying to make it work I powered up my current phone without the SIM in it, and the app now works as it didn't do the SIM check. It has carried on working even though I've now put the SIM in. The only down side is I can't use Virgin hotspots when I'm out and about, so I am going to see if the app works on the old phone if I can download it.

I'll post again if I get the app to download with the SIM in the old phone.

Best wishes,

GeekySimian

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi GeekySimian,

Thanks for coming back to us - hope you had a lovely Christmas!

From what you have described, it sounds as though the app is retrieving the wrong data from the SIM card.

Have you noticed whether anything had changed with either your package or account that may have caused this error to come about? Can you please also confirm if your SIM is directly attached to your cable account as part of an Oomph deal? Whilst this shouldn't be an issue, I just want to see if there's any patterns or possible reasons why this is happening.

Many thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
GeekySimian
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth,

I had a great Christmas - I hope you did too.

Not sure about my phone - I've just checked my bill and it says my package is '1500mins + 2GB Cable SIM'. I don't know what the Oomph deal is.

I've not made any changes to the phone package, but I think my data rate on our cable Wifi was upgraded a few months ago. However, the issue with the connect app has been going on for almost a year - I' don't think I've ever been able to get it going on my current phone since the app changed to the current version.

It freezes when I go to the mobile tab on the app - it gets as far as switching my WiFi off and then doesn't believe that the data is on and won't let me exit that page.

My phone is a dual SIM phone but I've checked I've no other SIM in the socket.

Best wishes,

Robin

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Robin,

thanks for all the details - sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

It certainly is a strange one. So right now, it's just the Hotspots part of the app which you are unable to access? 

Can you also please confirm which version of the app that you are running? If we still can't figure things out from here, I can raise an IT ticket for this issue and so it can be looked into further for you.

Many thanks,

Beth 

0 Kudos