Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Confusion over getting a new phone

I have a full package service from Virgin.  I bought two Huawei phones and sim only from VM and now want to take out new contracts with new phones for my wife and myself. I went to the VM website and clicked on 'Existing Customer'.  After I did this  I see phone contracts listed that says 'for new customers'  Is this meaning new Mobile contract customers or new customers to Virgin?  Based on the above should I be getting two contracts at the 'new customer pricing' 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Confusion over getting a new phone

Maybe I should have said that the Huewei phone and a Samsung phone were bought from VM.  Please advise if I take out new contracts what pricing will be applied new customer or existing and where are the existing customer prices?   Too many games being played here and I just might go back to a previous provider. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beemer,

Apologies for the delayed response. All mobile contracts are available to new and existing customers, however these will always be new contracts, meaning you will receive a new phone and new SIM. You cannot take out a new contract and apply that to an existing contract or number that you already have, unless that contract has ended, in which case you can take it out as an upgrade to the existing number.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As a disinterested party reading @Cory_C's response, I can state unequivocally "That's as clear as mud".

I'm sure I can't divine the implications for someone who has a SIM only contract who wants to "upgrade"/downgrade to having a contract handset & SIM combo.

You'd think such a move would be relatively simple, which is what the OP apparently wishes to do. Will the poor soul have to jump through hoops to keep their number? Or is the move as simple as it ought to be?

Frankly the website is a PITA, so much so that when Mother needed a handset upgrade both she and I gave up & bought a SIM free handset from Amazon rather than fight the system even though her original handset came from yourselves years ago, along with the associated SIM.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi BeardedBlunder, 

Thanks for your post, it is as simple as you have stated, and what I have also stated:

• If you are a new mobile customer [with no previous mobile account] the offer applies,
  • If you are an existing mobile customer [with existing phone number and the contract terms have ended], the offer applies,and will be put on the existing number as an upgrade,
  • If you are an existing mobile customer [with existing phone number and the contract terms have not ended], the offer does not apply, because there is a contract in play. If they still want the offer and phone it will come as a new phone and new number and cannot replace the other contract.

I'd be happy to further clarify if there is a link available to the offer of what the OP is referring.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So then where on your website do I find sim free phones to buy and at what price to use with our two existing VM contract sim cards?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beemer,

Sure thing. Are you meaning SIM-free phones that you buy outright? You can find these here

Unfortunately, we do not have any SIM-free phones that are part of the mobile finance plan. Has your mobile contract ended and are looking for an upgrade? If so then, signing into your mobile account first, then click on your plan and mobile phone that you would like to upgrade.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If Virgin were actually interested, there'd be links showing the prospective net costs for existing customers either past a phone handset contract or on a SIM only contract to add a handset.

As it is (go look at the site yourself) there are ONLY *net* prices for completely new customers you can trap into a contract, or existing customers *currently* trapped in a contract to "upgrade" it.

Existing customers paying for SIM/ongoing service might as well not exist, it's clear Virgin don't care enough to tell them what *difference* adding a handset to their existing bill might make.

As such, my mother bought outright SIM free elsewhere, perhaps that might have been different if we'd known X phone would have cost Y extra per month without going away to manually do sums that get done for people upgrading early before a contract ends..
0 Kudos