Menu
Virgo88
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Charged for Receiving premium texts

Virgin Media said that I have apparently received three premium texts, charging £1.50 per message. They said they can not tell me which company they are from until August 19th (next month!) but looks like a tracking company that I have signed up to.  Which I have NOT!   Plus, no such texts are in my message history..  Sounds like a scam that I'm expected to pay for! 

Virgin not offering much help, but telling me that they can see on the system that I have received these texts and that I should be careful how I use my phone!!  

Anyone else dealt with this?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Charged for Receiving premium texts

Hi Virgo88,

Are you able to log into your online mobile account to see what code the premium texts are from?

If you can give me the codes and descriptions I can try and take a look for you.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Virgo88
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa, 

I've received 3 text messages off the following number  '88101' charging me £1.50 per message!  I now have £4.50 in charges to my Mobile account.   

However, I have at no point registered my details with this number/company.  Virgin Media advisor does not believe me, and was of no help.  She kept 'reminding'me to be careful with my account.  Rather rude considering I continually told her I have never signed up to/gave my details for this to be charging my account.  

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

looks like it shows up alot on web searches.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/sms-scam-from-88101/td-p/13225185
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3293788

report them here https://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/report-an-issue

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Virgo88
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Lisa, 

The advisor I spoke with on the phone said she has blocked me receiving anymore texts from this number.  I also tried to text 'stop' to the number, but it won't allow me to do so. 

What do you suggest I do?  Speak to another advisor and report it as fraudulent activity on my account.  As it stands, I'm liable to pay for this! 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Virgo88, 

It sounds like we've blocked you from sending premium messages which is why you're having trouble sending STOP. 

I'll pop you a personal message so we can get this reverted and have a closer look at the charges. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos