Menu
lynne68
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cant send a text without removing and replacing sim

From time to time (every couple of days- I am unable to send texts) I can receive them and make calls but cant send them - so far the only way I can sor this is by removing the sim card and putting it in again. Also for the last two weeks I have had 'no service' most of the time and access to emergency calls only - which I cant understand as my husband and son are both with virgin and they have no problems- Anyone have an idea what is causing this  or how I can rectify it as there is only about an hour a day that I can use my phone

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cant send a text without removing and replacing sim

Thanks for the post Lynne68 and welcome to our community.

Can we please confirm how things are since your post? 

Have you been able to refresh the network settings in your handset? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
lynne68
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No I still have no service most of the day and have been unable to send texts without removing sim card - tried to do virtual chat however by the time I finish work I think this service is finished at your end. Just trying to google to see if I can find any information at all that will help

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us lynne68

Can you please advise me what kind of SIM card you're using - is this the former EE hosted SIM card that's red in appearance or is it one of our new Virgin Media Controlled SIM card which is purple in appearance?

Can you also tell me if you've been able to use the SIM card in a different handset to see if there are any drops in service? 

We will need to determine if this is an issue with the SIM card, or the handset you're using

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
lynne68
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The sim card is black with a red swirly logo.

At the moment I dont have access to another phone in order to try to see if there is a loss of service, I con

On 4 December I had contact with someone at Virgin who suggested upating my contact network centre to +447458 399008 to solve the problem with not being able to send texts. However since then my access to the Network has been non existent some days. I can easily go from 7 am to 5pm then all of a sudden I get 6/7 texts in one go that people have sent me at about 9am in the morning.

I have been trying to google the problem and one of the suggestions is that it is becuase my preffered network type is WCDMA only ( I am afraid this does not mean much to me as I really dont understand mobiles etc)

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@lynne68 wrote:

The sim card is black with a red swirly logo.

I have been trying to google the problem and one of the suggestions is that it is becuase my preffered network type is WCDMA only ( I am afraid this does not mean much to me as I really dont understand mobiles etc)

Thank you for your help

WCMDA only means the phone will operate on 3G only. Suggest you change it to the maximum types allowed which should include 2G at least

Virgin will advise but I think a change to the newer SIM card would also be advisable 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
lynne68
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Any idea how to change it from WCDMA only as I am a complete technphobe! ,the google page I saw said to be careful changing it as it can invalidate your contract and you could incur higher charges.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Tell me make and model and I'll see if I can dig up instructions. It won't invalidate anything 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
lynne68
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

sony xperia Aqua

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

k mode
1 From your Home screen, tap the menu symbol at the top

2 Find and tap Settings > More > Mobile networks.

3 Tap Preferred network type, then select a network mode.

Make sure  you use the one that gives the most types 

Return