Menu
Highlighted
luisfaustino
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cant make outgoing calls abroad

Hi

Im currently abroad in Portugal and can’t make outgoing voice calls to either local numbers as well as numbers in Ireland.

I can receive voice calls and use 4G for internet.

To try and sort out I have restarted my phone, allowed for automatic network selection and also tried manual selection of a local network, the result is always the same. 

When calling any number I get a voice recording (from local network) saying the the number cannot be reached. 

I also tried calling Virgin Media using the international number but got the same issue. 

Please let me know how what to do to get this sorted or if you detected/fixed any issue from your side. 

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cant make outgoing calls abroad

Have a look on your online account and see if international call barring is switched Off. 

(plan and devices, manage my services).

Then restart your phone, and hopefully it will work (might take time to activate though). 

If it is already off, try manually connecting to another network

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi luisfaustino, 

Welcome to the forums. 

Sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing whilst abroad. Can I ask if you activated roaming on your account before leaving? This could have been done by calling the team on 789 or on your online account? We always advise to call before you leave to go abroad to just give it a quick refresh. 

I am able to help though if you are still in need? 

Keep me posted, 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos
luisfaustino
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, last I tried with a reboot it still didnt work.
Im not abroad anymore so I cant test.
When I get back there in April I will try again.. if the roaming does not work I will cancel my contract (which is about €400/yr) and I dont have roaming which means I have to spend money abroad on a local SIM card so I can make phone calls.

0 Kudos
luisfaustino
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice and assistance, but, Im pretty annoyed at this point already.
It shouldn't be need to call VM before going abroad, if everyone did that imagine how many calls you'd get everyday.
However I will try it regardless.
0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Quick question, did you mean € or £

If € this is the UK forum. Virgin mobile Ireland has a different forum I think.

Doesn't solve your problem though 😕

0 Kudos