cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant hear the caller or caller cant hear me

Pigeons1958
Tuning in

I keep getting trouble with incoming or outgoing calls where one or both parties are unable to hear each other. I changed my handset from Galaxy S6 to brand new Galaxy S21+5G and n o change in number of failed calls. I got Virgin to send me a replacement Sim but still problem is happening. I am in different locations, loads of different called or calling numbers. I just don't understand it there is no common bit, locations change, handset changed, Sim changed unbelievable.

Now considering moving network supplier as I cant run my business with repeated lost calls

12 REPLIES 12

misterdog
Up to speed

Marshally
On our wavelength

We're experiencing exactly the same problem and also upgraded the phone, from an S6 to an S20 thinking it was the handset that was the problem. Now we realise it is the network, we also had a new sim with the new phone.

It doesn't seem to be related to WiFi calling as the S6 didn't have it turned on, but it is turned on, on the S20 but we experienced the same problem with both phones. This has been an expensive way to attempt to fix this problem, we wouldn't have upgraded, if we'd known this was a network issue and not the handset.

We also lost mobile phone service for over 24 hours during the switch between phones, Virgin Media claimed this was due to an "outage in your area" - "We apologise but there is currently an outage in your area. We are working to get this fixed as soon as possible." Which I find hard to believe as we were told there was an outage in two locations either side of Cambridge.

I have turned WiFi calling off on my handset in the hope it helps. I have switched handset off and switched on again and did see fewer drop outs but could have been pure luck. I try clearing the cache too but not sure that made any difference.

It is so frustrating an dhard ti explain to my customers who suffer the consequences.

Hi there @Pigeons1958 

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to hear you and the others are experiencing this issue, we have currently been given this update:

"There’s currently an issue on mobile where calls are connecting but the Virgin Mobile customer is silent or the other person cannot be heard. This has been raised."

This means it is an issue we are aware of and we currently have our technicians working on it.I am hoping we can get a resolution to this soon and I will endeavour to keep this forum post updated as we receive more information. 

Thank you. 

I'm having the same problem as other people here. When I call someone I get a loud blowing wind/gust noise or the other party can't hear me or I can't hear them. Seems to happen a lot when calling a family member who is on O2 network.

This all started since VM's switch over from EE to Vodafone. It's very frustrating to say the least.

We will seek to update the board once we have more information for you

We apologise for the inconvenience this may be causing our customers

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Jammymark
Joining in

Just to add to this. I've had the problem so long that as a last resort I took out another PAYG phone with Tesco mobile who use O2 for their network. I use the tesco phone for work and it's been fine. However since Virgin and O2 merged last week my tesco phone now does the same. I cant hear the caller. My wife has had an O2 phone with no issues for years and now she cant hear callers either!! I bet O2 are well chuffed. Not sure what tech they're sharing but now I have 2 phones that dont work and worse still is that my wifes is just as bad!! 

Is anyone else seeing an improvement? I went 4 days with no issues but then yesterday and again today a few dropped calls again?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jammymark wrote:

Just to add to this. I've had the problem so long that as a last resort I took out another PAYG phone with Tesco mobile who use O2 for their network. I use the tesco phone for work and it's been fine. However since Virgin and O2 merged last week my tesco phone now does the same. I cant hear the caller. My wife has had an O2 phone with no issues for years and now she cant hear callers either!! I bet O2 are well chuffed. Not sure what tech they're sharing but now I have 2 phones that dont work and worse still is that my wifes is just as bad!! 

That's a strange one as absolutely nothing has happened between Virgin and O2 on the network side of things and won't for some time yet. The two mobile networks are operating quite independently of each other. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks