Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Cannot receive text messages in Bristol area

I cannot receive texts on my mobile  - it seems like this is only on the Bristol area (where I live and work). When I travel along the motorway, I often get receive a lot of texts. I am able to send texts from home, send and receive calls - all no problem.

The issue has occured since changing phone about 2 weeks ago. I have tried turning off/on, cleaning the SIM and anything else I could find to do online. Nothing works  - this is causes me an issue with some websites which require 2-factor authentication - one of which is an SMS to my phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot receive text messages in Bristol area

Sounds like a network problem. 

Don't know if it shows on here

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice

But EE (Virgins Supplier) have experienced a string of problems in the Bristol area.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. I checked - it says the service is fine in my area. EE has a nice form for filling in if there is an issue, but I couldn't find the Virding Mobile equivalent. Any idea how I register this issue wit Virgin Mobile?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If you're able to make & receive calls in a particular area ok, and can otherwise send & receive texts ok, then the only reason why texts would be affected in a particular area would be an issue on the interface between the core network that handles text message routing (this is Virgin-controlled), and the radio network that provides you with coverage (this is EE-operated).

I'm on EE-direct in the Bristol area and haven't had any problems, as regards your question about the Virgin Mobile equivalent of a faults reporting tool - there's no such thing. It's the nature of an MVNO (virtual operator) such as Virgin Mobile that they are wholly reliant on the host network operator (in this case EE) for their radio coverage. If EE have an issue in any given area, that will affect all their virtual providers - so if you have coverage issues, the best check anyone can make is with the host operator.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos