Menu
jcoutts1972
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cancelling my Late Wifes Mobile Phone Contract **BEWARE**

My wife died in Sept. 2014 - So after 6 years of my son using my late wifes old phone & Pay monthly SIM I try to cancel my late wifes mobile phone contract..  OMG!!

I've been bullied harrassed, told I'm still in contract (After 4 yrs..!!!), threatened with Debt Recovery the lot. 

Problem in 2016 VM were more than happy to talk to ME about a new deal for my son. I advised them this was my wifes account and she had now passed. No problem oh no (So long as we keep you as a customer.. doesn't matter)  we'll update the details on the account. - Great.

Roll on to 2020. 4yrs later I want to now cancel the contract. Oh what's the password for your wifes account. 🙄 Didn't need that in 2016 when you were keeping me as a customer. 🤔

They couldn't talk to me due data protection (for someone who is deceased) but said they would send me her password by letter 🤔 what a sham..  They did send a letter here is your password... (Totally Blank) nothing on it...  just there schpill.

I had no option but to cancel the direct debit becasue I simply had no way of administering nor cancelling my late wifes account.

Then they send me a new SIM Card, trying to get me to put it in the phone I'm guessing to make some kind of NEW Contract...  err. no that didn't work, still in the envelope.  

I've sent them the death certificate along with a complaint and still they write to my WIFE.. threatening with debt recovery and that somehow she made a new contract recently.  - Ummm how exactly..?? 

They haven't even responded to my first complaint and sent another threatening letter.

Company is a complete disgrace.  Cannot put into words just how upset & angry I am over this.

Ofcom need to sort this lot out.

So before anyone wishes to refer these lot to anyone please make them aware how they treat people, even bereft. 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancelling my Late Wifes Mobile Phone Contract **BEWARE**

have flagged it - hopefully someone here soon - keep your eye on the thread i guess they will want to go to pm to get some details

Tony
jcoutts1972
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony - Honestly shocking behaviour. I've actually emailed Schueler & Barrass today over it. Not that I'll get a reply.

Cheers again for flagging.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is it possible to get a STAC code and apply it to any none Virgin phone? 

It does nothing to the account to which it is applied but will bring the Virgin one to an end.

That's what we did after a load of messing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jcoutts1972
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, but unlikely. The account is apparently fully disconnected now.

In any case they VM still say I owe them £60 for a contract that I dispute I was ever in after 4yrs. So if I could text, that would surely constitute to them, me keeping my contract going and this has been in dispute since March when I originally made the call to try and cancel..!

If they had changed the account into my name in 2016, then could have cancelled the contract. It is their fault I was unable to do so.

All it really needs is to find someone with just an ounce of common sense to realise these issues they have really brought about themselves and to acknowledge that and cancel it completely and to waive the outstanding charges that shouldn't really be applied on the account anyway.

Seems common sense is in VERY short supply with this lot. 🤔

In hindsight, I should have just cancelled it upon her death, then they wouldn't have had another 6yrs of revenue from it. I only kept it going because of my sons wishes.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi jcoutts1972,

Thank you for taking the time to write on our Community Forums page.

I would firstly like to personally apologise for the whole journey you have had to go through. I understand that I cannot take back what has happened and how this has left you feeling, but I am truly sorry that I would like to see this sorted for you and your family.

I'm going to send you over a private message so I can look into this for you, you'll be able to find this over at the purple envelope.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos