Menu
gjenkins
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cancel SIM and refund for no service

I've been paying for 2 SIMs from Virgin for several years now. I barely use them as I spend most of my time in China but I need a UK number for when I go back and for accessing bank & HMRC services.

I noticed my SIM wasn't working when trying to get an access code to do my VAT return. I then discovered Virgin had deactivated my SIM and sent a new one to my UK home address. There was no option to opt-out - it was forced on my and resulted in losing access to my service.

The one time I managed to get a live chat session working, the customer service representative was quite rude and implied it was my fault for not living in the UK and he kept dropping off for 15 mins at a time whilst in the middle of our chat conversation. I can't call or text (no mobile service anyway) so need some other way to contact Virgin.

I had a friend pick up the new SIM from my home but it simply doesn't work. He waited 24 hours, tried in several different handsets and attempted to contact customer service but couldn't get through after more than 45mins.  

In addition to this, last November I travelled to Germany for a short trip and found the mobile internet didn't work (should have EU roaming). The helpdesk couldn't resolve my issue and I incurred much expense paying for WiFi hotspots and had much trouble getting Ubers and so on.

I have decided to cancel and want a refund for the time I have been without access to the service. I refuse to keep hanging on waiting for replacement SIMs that don't work and endure the shoddy customer service.

I have requested PAC codes from my online account but see no other way to properly cancel. I also want to file a complaint and request but there is now where to do so. The website keeps throwing errors whenever I get close to finding someplace. 

Can someone from customer service please respond to my complaint?

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancel SIM and refund for no service

Hi gjenkins, 

Thanks for your post I am sorry to hear you have not had the best experience with us, We are currently migrating all our sims as we are improving the network. We do not process disconnections you will need to give out team a call to cancel, can I ask how you are trying to log your complaint? Is this over the phone to an agent or our online form? 

Thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Rising star
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Zoie_P wrote:

Hi gjenkins, 

Thanks for your post I am sorry to hear you have not had the best experience with us, We are currently migrating all our sims as we are improving the network. We do not process disconnections you will need to give out team a call to cancel, can I ask how you are trying to log your complaint? Is this over the phone to an agent or our online form? 

Thanks,

Zoie

Hi Zoie, are we moving from EE?? I hope so, they are so awful in my area. If VM are who are they migrating too please?

Regards

OVH Speed Test
OVH Speed Test

0 Kudos
gjenkins
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I've been trying to log a complaint here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/contactus/make-a-complaint#mobile

However, the "message us your issue" has no actual way to send a message and the "submit your issue online" gives the following error:

image.png

Calling is really not an option. From the UK it is hard enough but from China it is very expensive as well with not much hope of actually speaking to someone.

I have requested a PAC code from my online account. From what is says here, that should be enough to at least cancel the account?
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-how-do-i-cancel-my-contract

It is a monthly SIM only with no early disconnection fee so maybe I just cancel my direct debit and be done with it.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @gjenkins

Thanks for popping back - I am sorry that you have had issues logging a complaint via the automated webform online. 

As my colleague mentioned above, we're updating our systems and all older SIM card will need to be replaced to migrate to the new system. As we are a UK company, all mobiles are registered here in the UK and as such that account address will be used as a primary contact. All replacement SIMs can only be posted to a UK address. If they are not activated within the time frame listed within the communication provided - both the old and new SIM will be deactivated. 

Whilst we can send out a replacement SIM, this will need to be activated within the correct timescale here in the UK; it can then be posted to you in China if you so wish so you can continue to use it if needed. 

I am sorry to understand that you had some issues whilst abroad in Germany last year. Even if roaming is activated both on your account and activated via your own handset - as you are connecting and using a foreign 3rd party network we are unable to promise or guarantee services whilst abroad - I am sorry. 

If you have now decided to leave us, you can of course do this via your online account as you have mentioned. Once you have your PAC or STAC and give this code to your new provider, this will close your account with us automatically. 

If you choose to just cancel your Direct Debit, this will not close your account with us and you may incur further charges. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos