cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t text premium number

richardburns
On our wavelength

Is there a way to enable my account to send messages to premium rate numbers? I get competition messages and spam messages where I can unsubscribe but texting the number (82228) seems to be disabled and I can’t.

Any way to enable this? There’s no settings within my account that I can see disabling this. 

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi richardburns,

Click on Plan & Device in the navigation bar

On the page that opens scroll down to the Manage your services section and click on manage my services ( shown below)

Clipboard01.jpg

Then you can turn OFF premium call barring (2nd picture)

Clipboard02.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi, thanks, I have already got this switched off though in this section and it still doesn’t allow messages to be sent.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again richardburns,

Have you tried rebooting your mobile to see if that forces the change?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi there @richardburns

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry that this is happening! 

Can I ask if you have a spend cap on your account at all? You can check this by logging in online and you can also change it if there is one. You can read more about the process here

Thank you. 

Hi. It’s nothing to do with my phone, it’s a Virgin setting or disabled option for me.

I’m on the Unlimited Oomph package so it’s unlimited. Incidentally when I do try to text the number in question, I do get a message back about my spending cap, saying “You've hit your spending cap, which will reset on your next refresh”, so it’s obviously a bug with Virgin not seeing my plan as allowed to text any number.

I have no spending cap set, it’s definitely not that as I checked that too. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your spending cap is the amount you are prepared to spend on out of allowance calls. As this text is chargeable and not included in your Oomph package, you would need to set a spending cap at a value above the charge.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

As enlli has explained, if the spend cap is set to zero and this is a chargeable text then due to the limit set the text wouldn't be sent as it would breach the spend cap set.

You can change the spend cap via your online account or in the Virgin Mobile App.

Rob