Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Can't receive SMS or calls on new phone - HELP!

I transferred my number into a new phone on Thursday and haven't been able to receive calls or text messages since then.

I called customer services on Saturday and was told that, from that day, my local mast is under maintenance to upgrade to 5G.  That doesn't explain why I haven't received messages or calls on Thurs or Fri. I was also in a different postcode area yesterday and didn't receive any messages or calls then so my local mast can't be the issue then.

I'm told the issue with the mast could take 7-10 days to fix. I can't be without the option of receiving calls or messages for that long, it means I can't do some of my banking and the NHS are trying to call me back to arrange an appointment.

I don't think the mast is the problem to be honest, I've noticed a couple of other people on this forum that had a similar issue last week. There isn't a resolution published on their messages though which is why I'm asking for help too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't receive SMS or calls on new phone - HELP!

Hello lynnemc

Really disappointing to hear of the mobile service issues experienced, we appreciate you taking the time to contact us via the forums and welcome to the community.

I have just a couple of questions for you, were you an existing Virgin Mobile customer who has upgraded your handset? If so, did you receive a new SIM card with the handset?

Or are you a new customer who has transferred your number in from another provider? If so, what date were you given for the number to be transferred?

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rob

Thanks for replying.  I was with EE and transferred my number to Virgin last week. I did receive a new SIM card and the account details tell me the number has ported correctly. 

I received the phone last Thursday and received a message the next day that transfer had been successful.  The second time I called the customer service team, I told them I had been in a different postcode with a different mast but was told that this mast is also under maintenance and that's why I wasn't receiving calls there either!

At the moment, I can't set up several apps, including banking, because they want to send a passcode to my mobile number so this is now urgent. I can't wait 7-10 days for these masts to be fixed. I'm ready to cancel the contract and go back to EE.

Lynne

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I can completely understand the frustration lynnemc and apologise for the inconvenience caused. Have you ever been able to use the SIM card as looking at the account there does appear to be some out going usage?

I have checked and although there are mast issues local to you, there are other masts available in the area. Obviously the two masts being down will create more work for the working masts and may cause some congestion but wouldn't explain a complete inability to use service.

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Rob, you have no idea how pleased I am to hear you say that! I couldn't understand how a mast being 'under maintenance' meant that I had no incoming calls or messages and also, if that was the case, why Virgin didn't tell me in advance - I had to find out by phoning to find out what was wrong?

I have been able to make calls out and send the messages, I just can't get a reply either by call or text.

Lynne

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Okay, so that rules out an issue with the SIM card itself (we're getting somewhere now)

Can you confirm which make and model handset you have please? This may just need some settings updating.

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sure, it's a Samsung Galaxy A40.  I have tried all the suggestions on the technical issues section of the Virgin site and that didn't help. The only thing I didn't try yet was factory reset - I'd prefer not to do that if I can help it.

Lynne

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I can understand that and we would only recommend that as a last resort lynnemc.

You may have already tried this but if you could try the below please:

• Go to settings
  • Then connections
  • Then mobile networks
  • Ensure the SIM is in slot 1 (if there is dual SIM availability on your handset)
  • Choose Network mode SIM 1
  • Change to 2G only

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've done that now and had friend try to call but still can't get through. No text messages have come through either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for trying that, can you follow the steps again and select 4g or LTE depending on what the handset advises, reboot it completely and get your friend to try again for me please?

Rob

0 Kudos