Menu
cevets
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can't make or receive Calls / Texts in Oman

Hi, I recently took out an Ultimate Oomph bundle which came with an unlimited SIM. I had a few problems with the initial Porting after submitting my PAC Code which I eventually resolved by visiting the local Virgin Mobile store (gave up trying to use Customer Care on 789 after a number of 20 minute plus waits).

My phone was working OK for the 2 days I spent in the UK after getting the issue resolved. However, I have now travelled overseas for work (Oman) and after turning my Phone back on it is now not working again. Can't make or receive Calls / Texts.

When I checked the Mobile Settings I found Roaming was turned off. I turned it on but this made no difference. Note - I have Mobile Data turned off to prevent huge Bills whilst overseas.

How can I get this resolved whilst in Oman without calling Customer Care. Costs would be excessive.

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't make or receive Calls / Texts in Oman

Have you switched roaming on in your online account?

(plan and device, your services). While checking that, make sure international call barring is off too. 

You can also do the roaming switch in the virgin mobile app, under plan, controls. 

Wish nothing that switching this on takes up to 24 hours to reach your local networks. 

Did you get a welcome text when you switched your phone on?

Also, try manually connecting to all networks to see if it makes a difference. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon cevets,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see that you've not been able to use your mobile phone whilst in Oman.

We would always advise customers to set up roaming on their self-care account before they leave the UK as we cannot guarantee that this will work when the SIM card is already overseas.

I can see about switching roaming on for you, if you would like me to do that? Drop me a response and we'll take this to PM.

It may also be worth taking a look at the costs of using you phone whilst in Oman before we attempt this - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-roaming-world-zone-2

Kindest regards

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry cevets,

Just to add, I can switch this on for you, but I cannot guarentee this will work but happy to try 🙂

David_Bn

0 Kudos
cevets
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi David / Paul,

Thank you for the quick responses, really appreciated.

I had an existing Virgin Media Account for my Broadband and I can still access this using my original email and password. I have never actually set up a Virgin Mobile Account. I have just tried to set one up but it won't let me as it says the email address is already registered. I tried logging into Virgin Mobile using my Media account details but it doesn't recognize them.

I would appreciate if you could initiate the Roaming function and ensure International Call Barring is off. That will at least allow me to identify who is calling me and I can choose whether to accept the Call. It would also be appreciated if you could assist with setting up a Virgin Mobile account.

I also tried to download the Virgin Mobile App but it requires me to turn off WiFi and turn on Mobile Data which I assume would cost me a fair few pounds due to being in Oman.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi cevets,

Yes, I'd avoid setting up the app in Oman as we need to use the data to sync the phone number to the applications download.

I'll be happy to take this up for you. Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner of the screen for my PM

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos