cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get 5G

Purple_Worzel
Joining in

I have recently bought a 5G enabled phone (Nokia XR20) and at the same time moved to Virgin Mobile and have a new 5G sim card.  I live in Liverpool, which has good 5G coverage.  However, I can't seem to get 5G on my phone.  

The preferred network type  in my phone settings only shows 4G and 3G.  Basically, am I missing something?  What do I need to do to get 5G?  I've tried Googling and looking at the Nokia user guide but have drawn a blank.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've seen this problem with Motorola where their phones are not configured for Virgin Mobile ( also Sky and ID Mobile) but we don't get many Nokia on here so can't say if it is something similar. 

If you can, maybe worth borrowing a SIM from a different network to see if the 5G option appears. Also may be worth asking on a Nokia forum if others have had problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've seen this problem with Motorola where their phones are not configured for Virgin Mobile ( also Sky and ID Mobile) but we don't get many Nokia on here so can't say if it is something similar. 

If you can, maybe worth borrowing a SIM from a different network to see if the 5G option appears. Also may be worth asking on a Nokia forum if others have had problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for the reply.  I niaively assumed 5G phone + 5G sim + 5G area = 5G!  I googled based on your information and it seems it's dependant on the type of phone as well..I found something on their website that says they can't guarantee it will work on a device that isn't on their list (which Nokia and Motorola aren't) but they are working on adding more devices.    So I guess it is just a waiting game.  I jjust wish they made this clearer before you switch!

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your assumptions were the same as mine till the Motorola issue came along. The wierd thing us the Motorola phones will work on Vodafone 5G when on Vodafone but can't use exactly the same signal on Virgin!

Hi @Purple_Worzel welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear of your difficulties accessing 5G on your new handset. Having had a look for you your current handset it not one of the devices listed that we support 5G with. (You can see the list of compatible devices and read more about 5G here.)

However as you have already mentioned, we are working on adding more devices to our 5G network all the time - hopefully this will include yours soon!

Apologies for the poor experience and any inconvenience caused. 

Do let us know if there is anything further we can do to help! 
All the best. 

Molly

Why do you need to provision an unlocked 5G phone to attach to a 5G network?  When are you adding Nokia?  I have a 5G phone and a 5G phone plan and 4G - this is 3rd world quality service. 

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Pilch

Can you please advise me if you're aware of your local masts being able to support 5G services?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Yes they do - apparently Virgin do not have my phone on the provisioned list - worked just fine on 5G on my last phone with Vodafone.

Sorry to hear that is the case @Pilch

Hopefully we can add more handsets to our provisioned list in the not too distant future 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Pilch wrote:

Yes they do - apparently Virgin do not have my phone on the provisioned list - worked just fine on 5G on my last phone with Vodafone.

It's the other way around to what you're saying there - Nokia haven't added firmware settings to recognise Virgin Mobile as having 5G, it's not Virgin Mobile actively blocking Nokia 5G devices.

The list that Virgin Mobile have for 5G are directly sold 5G devices. Other 5G devices will work if they know Virgin Mobile has 5G.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own