Menu
migdevcar
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can't cancel my contract

Few days ago I posted about how to cancel my contract with Virgin Mobile too. I moved abroad and my wife and me do not require your services anymore but it is not easy at all cancelling the contract. Can I have some help? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't cancel my contract

Thanks for posting migdevcar

I am sorry you're having issues cancelling your contract.  Is it a split contract or SIM Only?  If it's a SIM Only you should be able to follow the steps here to cancel.  If you've already tried this and had no success, please let us know.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
jkr77
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem as the person who started the thread: I also live abroad now and cannot find a way to cancel my PAYG contract (and number and account). Because 789 number surely does not work abroad, and it is very expensive me to call normal number and wait 1 hour or more (if another number exists). 

The link you gave will not work for him/me because PAC /STAC requires to have another UK number from another mobile provider in the UK. But we don't have another UK number to move the number because we moved abroad and have number in another country now.

In my case I cancelled monthly contract last August and I thought it's all done, but then I noticed they gave me a new "Daily Plan" contract which I don't want/did not ask. So am trying to cancel that now. 

In my opinion there should be some online form where you can easily cancel any contract without need to transfer numbers etc. It's a little strange we can only cancel contract if we transfer the number to another provider... This way it would work from anywhere in the world and would be easy.

Any help please? Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello

With PAYG all you have to do is not use the card for a period of 90 days to make any chargeable call / text and the number will automatically be cancelled.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jkr77
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

"With PAYG all you have to do is not use the card for a period of 90 days to make any chargeable call / text and the number will automatically be cancelled."

The problem is that Virgin Media uses post-paid method which is very risky for me, because if somebody uses my SIM I might end up paying huge bill.

That is good to know, but still it is not nice I have to keep my bank direct debit open to Virgin Media for next 3 months. I want to delete the contact fully to decrease my risk. There is a risk always keeping direct debits and contracts/numbers (that somehow I get a bill because somebody used my number). I don't like that risk ... I want to delete it now if it is about direct debit. Direct debit is dangerous, because it is post-paid. pre -paid would be fine like giffgaff is doing. That is why I do not worry about my giffgaff PAYG because it is prepaid, so no risk involved.

For example, if I lose my DNA sim card and somebody finds it and quickly makes 100 minutes call to Argentina.... who is going to pay that huge bill??? It is me!!!!!!! So there is this risk, trust me. The risk is with all post-paid sims ... and I think Virgin Mobile uses post paid.

This is not acceptable that I cannot **easily** immediately delete my account/number (if do not have another UK number or is located abroad). I am considering complaining this issue to Ofcom. I have used about 5 hours trying find out how to delete my mobile account and still cannot find, that's why I am here on this forum. There is this loop on virgin website that one place tells to go to another place, and the other place instructs to go back to the first place. So there is this endless circle going on and nowhere is easily found a chat window/form etc where I could contact easily somebody online. 😞

Sorry complaining, but this is how I really feel 😞

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello

As it is a PAYG just cancel the direct debit and destroy the SIM card, and as with all cancellations then these cannot be dealt with in the forum and you will need to call

Call 789 from your Virgin mobile, or
call 0345 600 0789 * from any other phone

Monday to Friday, 8am until 9pm

Saturday, 8am until 8pm and Sunday 8am until 6pm

Best time to call is first thing in the morning.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jkr77
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

"

as with all cancellations then these cannot be dealt with in the forum and you will need to call

Call 789 from your Virgin mobile, or
call 0345 600 0789 * from any other phone

"

I live abroad currently. I do not live in the UK, so I cannot use these numbers.

Deleting my direct debit does not remove my responsibility to pay the bill if a new bill for some reason occurs. So there is still this minor risk there even if I delete SIM.... for some reason I get a bill. I would rather not have this risk, I would rather have my account totally deleted immediately.

I want my number to be deleted so there is zero risk it can be used....

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

PAYG do not get billed that is the point of PAYG
0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@jkr77 wrote:

Because 789 number surely does not work abroad, and it is very expensive me to call normal number and wait 1 hour or more (if another number exists). 

789 does work abroad and is free on PAYG.

But as mentioned, you don't need to specifically cancel a PAYG SIM. It will do so itself if it's not used.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
jkr77
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the correction. So maybe I misunderstood how it goes.

So to get a clarification:

How does "Daily plan" billing/payment work? Do I first add money (via direct debit?) and then can only use that credit? Or does it work so that I give my direct debit and make my calls and after that Virgin media looks how much I made calls/texts/used internet and then takes it by direct debit?

So.. is it pre-paid or I get a bill of my calls **after** I made them?

0 Kudos