Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can Virgin really do this?

My Mum is in her 80's and has been with Virgin since it was Diamond Cable,so about 30 years.She has broadband and a phone line that costs her £62 a month and  a pay as you go mobile contract that costs her £4.50 a month.

Until recently she has been using an old Doro flip phone with the Virgin pay as you go sim inside for just calls and texting.A few weeks ago I got her a new smart phone and put the Virgin sim inside and all was good.until notification,via text,that her next payment was due and it was £49.99 and not the £4.50 that she has been paying for years.

She rang customer services and was told that she now had all this data and new features on her new smart phone hence the price increase,well I'm thinking for £49.99 a month Virgin should have given her damn good free mobile too.Anyway after many frustrating calls to customer services she asked to cancel the contract the contract,but was told the she would still have to pat this months bill of £49.99.

So can Virgin really impose a service on you without asking,without offering it to you and telling you how much it would cost and when you tell them you really don't want it,demand that you still pay for it?

I have honestly never heard of anything like this before,can a company actually legally do and enforce this kind of practice?

Just to be clear Virgin increased the bill from £4.50 to £49.99 basically imposing a change in contract without asking her!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can Virgin really do this?

Sounds like the new phone you got her has data turned on and has went WAY over the allowance on her package, might be a better idea to move her package to a new tarrif that has more generous data allowance

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

But she didn't use the phone for anything,she doesn't know how to use the internet on it or use anything that would require any data usage.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Phones update and do things in the background without user intervention
I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The problem is Virgin is one of the worst networks in the UK for excess data charges. I suspect there are quite a few £2 daily charges in there.

If she does not need data first, see that mobile data is turned off via the handset, then contact Virgin to get it turned off at their end to make doubly sure.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos