Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Can I still use the phone number I'm transferring to VM during the switch?

I have an ee SIM-only monthly contract and I'm getting rid of that in favour of a VM SIM-only one, transferring my ee SIM phone number to my VM SIM card. I got my VM SIM card [yesterday] but am only now, at this late hour, dealing with it. I texted ee using my ee SIM and got my PAC code. I then powered off my phone and, as it is dual-SIM, moved the ee SIM from slot 1 to slot 2 and put my VM SIM into slot 1 before powering it back on. My phone cleverly reassigned my text, call and data settings to slot 2 (ee slot): "Preferred SIM for Mobile data": "SIM2"; "Calls": "Ask every time"; and "SMS messages": "SIM2"). So far so good. When I call VM later today to give them my PAC code and start the switching process, what would happen if I was phoning someone or someone was phoning me or I was in the middle of a call (either made or received) or using the data service (Internet) on my ee SIM when the actual switch took place? Would the network cut the call/data stream? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't (seamlessly) transfer the call/data stream to my VM SIM.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can I still use the phone number I'm transferring to VM during the switch?

Hello

If you are using the phone when the number port takes place then the line will drop when the EE sim get disconnected and the Virginmedia sim gets connected.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks