Menu
andybag
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Calls, texts and roaming abroad - none of it works

I'm in Switzerland and I can't make calls (I can receive them) or send texts to Swiss or UK numbers. I am unable to manually select a different network apart from the eye wateringly expensive Salt as my SIM card does not allow connections to Sunshine or SwissCom 

In 36 hours I have been charged over £32 in roaming charges as a result of these issues and I can't call or message customer services.

I did get a 'Welcome to ...' text and accepted the system updates for MMS and something else even though I have never been able to send MMSs with Virgin Media (always fails).

Can anyone help as I'm going to end up with a phone bill of hundreds without actually being able to use my phone?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Calls, texts and roaming abroad - none of it works

Fairly sure that Switzerland is not listed by Virgin as an EU roaming country 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-roaming-hub/switzerland

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
andybag
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Enlli,

Thanks for that. Yes, I am aware it is outside of the EU's roaming charges and I have been to Switzerland before with my Virgin mobile. As I said, I received a text to tell me the costs but can't actually use my phone to call or text (but I have been hit with roaming charges). I can't select the network I normally connect to in Switzerland (my SIM won't allow it). I can't call the 789 number in that link (as I can't make calls from my phone). Not sure what I can do apart from go on social media!! 

I'm out for 3 weeks and still have to make a number of calls back to the UK, France and the US, can anyone help.

N.B. I've also tried to check my international calls settings on my account but I am also waiting for an activation code to be sent through via text message (this would be helpful if my text messaging system was working). I'm on a rolling contract so if anyone has any suggestions for a network that does what it's supposed to do then that may also be helpful

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello
You can try the following if you have the newer (last 2 years) purple sim card, you can try the sim tool to get it working,

How to access the sim toolkit.

For Android:
Select Apps from the Home Screen
Select Virgin SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Manual
Select International-you are done, go back to Home Screen

To Switch back when in the UK:
Select Apps from Home screen
Select Virgin SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Automatic and go back to Home Screen

For iOS:
Select Settings from the Home Screen
Select Phone Icon
Select SIM Applications
On newer iOS 14 - Settings -> mobile data -> SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select Manual
Select International and you are done, go back Home screen to retry

To change back when returning to the UK:
Select Settings from the Home Screen
Select Phone Icon
Select SIM Applications
On newer iOS 14 - Settings -> mobile data -> SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select Automatic mode - you are done, go back to Home screen

**It is important that you set the SIM roaming applet back to Automatic mode once in the UK or you will not be able to access service when you return.**

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
andybag
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that, I've tried those steps all I get in my SIM toolkit options is the following 

Screenshot_20201215-211106_Settings.jpg

No options at all for roaming. I've sent Tweets, left messages and sent emails, no reply from Virgin Media as yet. My Mum has just called my wife in a panic as she couldn't get hold of me and thought something had happened. Cracking service that's for sure

0 Kudos
andybag
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

I've just been back through a different way. I set it Manually to international on Sunday to try and get it to work. Still not happening

Screenshot_20201215-212000_SIM toolkit.jpg

Jokers

0 Kudos
andybag
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Here's what happens when I try and select a network

Screenshot_20201215-215754_Call settings.jpg

Screenshot_20201215-215859_Call settings.jpg

Screenshot_20201215-215842_Call settings.jpg

Screenshot_20201215-215909_Call settings.jpg

Screenshot_20201215-215916_Call settings.jpg

Screenshot_20201215-215928_Call settings.jpg

I'm stood at a McDonalds drive through borrowing some free WiFi to post these. I was just on a message chat but after answering the security questions and having the agent tell me that I'd incurred some data charges he has now vanished off the line. His name was Leo of there are any middle managers out there reading this

20201215_222239.jpg

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi andybag,

I'm sorry to hear you're unable to send and receive texts or make calls whilst in Switzerland. I've checked your details using the information we have on here and can confirm that full roaming is active. I've disabled and re-enabled the feature just in case. Please check to see if it works, maybe turn your phone off and on again to let it update. Do let us know how it is.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos