cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call signal keeps dropping out and now wifi calling too

Gollygosh5
Tuning in

Hello

I am hoping somebody can help me out. I've called virgin several times, and they have went through everything on what to do to help me get a signal. 

After nothing helped, they came to the conclusion that it was due to some switch over on the 21st of Jan. Which is roughly when my issues started. 

I have had a new sim sent out and I still have no signal. This happens everywhere, but it is worse in my home. I can sometimes hang onto 2 bars if I'm lucky around the local area. In the house I'm on emergency calls only. 

This issue was resolved by switching on WiFi calling, but I have upgraded from an s10 to an s20 and now the WiFi calling is just completely vanishing from the phone when my phone hits emergency calls only. I cant access it from any section of the phone, it isn't even there as an option to toggle on/off in the mobile networks. Its as if it never existed. Until it comes back. Not just that, the phone is randomly refreshing the sim card every few seconds sometimes. When this happens, it drops the WiFi calling and puts me on emergency calls only once again. 

Is virgin just no longer fit for purpose, or will this finally resolve when they have completed whatever they are doing?

I am trying to be patient, but this has been happening since the 21st and there is no improvement. If anything, it's worse since I can't even rely on the WiFi calling now. No issue with my WiFi either, that is staying on. Its just the WiFi calling. 

Before this started I have never had an issue with virgin and I've used them for years. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Gollygosh5,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your Mobile service.

I would like to look into this for you. 

So I will private message you so I can look into this. 

^Martin

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's most likely tied in to the move from Virgin using the EE network to using Vodafone which may be weak in your location.

Is this just at home or everywhere you travel?

That said WiFi Calling should work in areas of no signal. (I use it in Liverpool Central Underground)

If you select aeroplane mode on your phone then re enable just WiFi does it stay on? Might help with diagnosis 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for reply. 

I have tried what you said and the WiFi calling has vanished. Completely disappeared from my phone. My signal has dropped to a circle with a line through it. 

Now the WiFi calling is back...and it's literally just dropped again lol. Along with saying "refreshing sim data" 

Its back again. And gone. This is the issue I'm having. During the space of typing this to you, it is on and off. If I am in my bedroom the WiFi calling seems to stay on, but downstairs not so much. Strangely, the hub is downstairs so you'd expect a better connection downstairs. 

Hi Gollygosh5,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your Mobile service.

I would like to look into this for you. 

So I will private message you so I can look into this. 

^Martin

Its just getting worse. My WiFi calling is dropping more often round my house. Upstairs seems to have no issues, but I cant stay upstairs. 

I still have no signal on actual calls, at all. 

Are VM actually looking into this on a larger scale, instead of just looking at individual cases? Because the individual cases are not fixing anything, and it's obvious by now that this is on a much bigger scale. 

Do they have an idea on how they can fix it or are we really best off switching to another provider?

I would rather stay with virgin, but at this point it's pointless. I'm paying for something I'm just not getting and god only knows how many calls I'm missing. If I know it can be fixed, I will hold on. But I'd rather just to be told honestly if holding on is going to just be a waste of time. 

I am in the same boat - I didn’t realise vm were switching to Vodaphone - surely they should have made us aware? I can no longer use wifi calling and I have no signal in my house now, so effectively my phone is useless. I was extremely happy with Virgin Mobile until this happened, and do not want to change, but will have to if not fixed in next few days as simply not fit for purpose.

You'd think they'd have at least gave us a bit of warning. 

It is so frustrating. I'm left with one room where WiFi calling works. 

I will be looking to shift elsewhere soon if its not sorted because like you say, it's not fit for purpose. I dont even have access to emergency calls when downstairs most of the time.

Any joy on finding out what the problem with WiFi calling is? 

I am having issues with Wi-Fi calling on my iPhone SE 2020.

I get no mobile reception indoors where I live and have been relying on Wi-Fi calling with Vodafone and Three for the past 4 years.

I got a new virgin mobile contract however Wi-Fi calling keeps dropping from my phone and I have to go out of the apartment for it to connect to the mobile network and then the Wi-Fi calling May reconnect when I re-enter the apartment. The Wi-Fi calling will again drop out randomly after some time.

The following trouble shooting has been done and it hasn't resolved the issue:

1. All settings reset by virgin
2. New SIM card sent out

This is extremely frustrating and I am paying for a service that doesn't work. I am unable to make or receive calls or send or receive messages when wifi calling drops.

I have had no such issues with wifi calling with Vodafone or Three.

Can someone assist?

Just an update for anyone reading for solutions. 

There doesn't seem to be any solutions from VM. 

So I moved to O2. Added benefit was getting a boost to my broadband with a volt package. However, their signal is also very poor in my home.

I have not lost full signal with it though so WiFi calling is not affected, and even without WiFi calling, calls can still be made and received but they just may be spotty and crackly. O2 service checker states good signal for calls and Internet indoors, but this isn't true in my case.

I ordered an EE sim card just to see what that was like since this is who virgin was using before the migration. Full signal.