Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Broke phone

Hi, twitter customer service put me on to you as I’ve not been able to get through to retentions for 2 months and I’ve completely ran out of patience and don’t know what else to try. 

I’m acting on behalf of my 72 year old Father and I’m fed up beyond imagination of how long this has dragged on and just hope you give me the time of day. 

About 8-10 weeks ago I upgraded his now out of contract Samsung Galaxy A40 sim only from 1gb to 3gb. I didn’t know at the time of signing up that this was for 12mths.

Nevertheless within a week of upgrading his plan, his phone ceased the ability to either make or receive phone calls rendering his device a waste of space. Since then I have tried repeatedly to contact your retentions team as advised by your Live Chat team 2 months ago. I have not once made it through to a human being. I am just sat on hold each time. My record being 1 hour 20mins. 

Given my father has been a Virgin TV, home phone, broadband and mobile customer for considerable time I expected a tiny bit of respect in exchange for his loyalty. Sadly you’ve drifted into the category of worst customer service I have ever encountered falling below both Sky and Ryanair. 

I understand that normally there would be a cooling off period upon undertaking the new sim only contract but given I’m unable to speak to you I doubt you would even consider extending this regardless of your availability or lack thereof.

What I would like is for to him to have a new mid to low end phone (not the pile of junk that is the A40) on a reasonable contract for no higher than £20 per month. A phone that he is able to make phone calls on and also receive phone calls on. Can you imagine such a phone?

i believe there is actually a live complaint in your system about this which is now 22 days old. A promise of a call to his landline there has not been nor have there been any attempts to follow this up via mail or text (which he can see). The complaint was put in place by a friend of a friend who works for Virgin. I can’t even put into words how rubbish that makes you appear. 

I'm not expecting any assistance and will guess this goes unanswered for some time. If on the off chance you do see it, if you could maybe consider terminating his sim only contract and he just pays for what he’s used so I can find him another provider ASAP that would also be great. 

To the person who might happen to pick this up, I hope you never have to suffer this nonsense yourself.

Regards,

John (c/o Jimmy L)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broke phone

So have you tried the phone with another SIM or placed his SIM in another phone to eliminate which is faulty.

You say his package is a 12 month SIM only. That would mean taking out another one for just the phone as handsets on Virgin are paid for by means of a loan over 2 or 3 years.

The A40 was a reasonable low end smartphone, so no doubt you want something in a similar bracket.

I've had a look and there are some good ones in the £200 price bracket. If you çould afford it then it would work out much cheaper in the long run to purchase right out.

I'm not excusing Virgin but thinking of options

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Exact same issues I've had - you get an issue, try endlessly to contact Virgin, they ignore and hang up the phone, then eventually fob you off saying "well you're outside of the 14 day cooling off window now so tough".

Take it from someone who has been passed around endlessly already, you won't get anywhere with Virgin, the only way around this is to sort it out yourself somehow.

The best you can do with Virgin though is ask for a letter of Deadlock to your complaint (Although I bet they have closed it without telling you).
Once you’ve got this, you can take it to to the Ofcom approved Dispute Resolution service (CEDR) who will decide on the action Virgin needs to take.

Don’t forget to let Ofcom know about the trouble you’ve had by reporting them here:
https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTMonitoring

Good luck!

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Callaghan17, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

I'm very sorry about the experience yourself and your father have been having regarding his handset and package. 

I can assure you this isn't the level of service we aim to provide and it's disappointing to learn of instances like this. 

Whilst we can certainly look at the complaint and package from here, I wouldn't be able to personally upgrade the handset, but we'll take this into a private message and take it from there if that's okay?

If you could also provide your Twitter handle as well for me so we can see the previous conversation and add it to the complaint that would be great. 

Thanks 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Emma C. 

twitter handle : jimmyjeans33

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's great, I've linked your Twitter conversations so we can see both from here. 

Once you've replied to my personal message I'll add all your correspondence to the complaint 🙂 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I’m sorry are we discussing this now via this forum or via twitter? Can we proceed already? We’ve already lost another day. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I sent you a personal message earlier, as soon as you reply to that with the details I've asked for then we can proceed. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just wanted to advise that we managed to get everything sorted for Callaghan17 and his father. 

Thanks for your patience with this and for letting me help. 

We're around if you need anything else! 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos