Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Blackberry Phones compatible with the new Virgin Sim Card.

Can anyone tell me which Blackberry phone with a keyboard is compatible with the new virgin sim card? My old 9720 is not and won't work when sending text messages. I love this phone and would like to keep it or get one similar. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blackberry Phones compatible with the new Virgin Sim Card.

strange yours wont work on texts, as I have an 8310 which was sold in 2007, and that works perfectly on the purple sims, calls and texts (3G). My son still has a 9810, from 2012, and that is also working on a purple sim, both calls and texts (3 + 4G).

Might be worth checking that the phones settings are correct for the VM's SMS settings??

Cant think why your 9720 won't text, (assume that calls work OK?) when 2 earlier ones do..think there is obviously something in the settings that is not right, rather than the phone being incompatible...

Have you recently swapped to the new purple sim from an old red one? if so, did texts work before the swap.. If so, is definately a settings problem.

(When the purple sim was activated, did you get a pair of texts regarding settings? I got 2 about phone, and text settings, that when you accepted them, loaded settings from VM, this might be what you are missing perhaps??)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile no longer supports the BB services (messenger, browser and email) on the older phones - Giff Gaff do and use the o2 network. However, if you just want it for phone calls and text services it should still work - or use a newer model such as Q5 and later that use SW version 10.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Many Thanks for getting back to me. No my phone will receive calls and texts but will not send them. So Virgin have said I need to buy a new phone. Shame because it is new and was bought new. It's the keyboard on the phone I like for texting. The ones where you have to tap each key twice are so slow. I'm back on my Nokia brick now lol

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Have you got the right message centre number?

It should be +447458 399008

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes we checked that. I have also removed the battery and done three re starts. It lets me send messages for the first five minutes then stops.image0 (14).jpegimage0 (13).jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi moongazer8,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums 🙂

I am sorry for the difficulties you've been having with your Blackberry with our new SIM card inserted. Have you since tried a different SIM in the handset to see if your services fully return without any problems? I just want to be absolutely sure that it's the SIM causing these problems, as it is strange how you can send/receive texts for a short while before the problem reappears again.

I can also see that you have spoken with my colleague Zak regarding the same issue, can you confirm if he was able to provide a resolution for you?

Many thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Zak told me that the phone was not compatible with Virgin Mobile and that I needed to buy a new phone, he then gave me £20 to do so. I have no other sim to try in the phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi moongazer8,

Thanks for coming back to me. 

I just wanted to check this incase that the phone still had issues with another SIM card, meaning that it it was the handset itself, rather than a compatibility issue with our SIM and your handset. However I am glad to hear Zak was able to offer you a credit, have you been able to purchase a new handset?

Please let us know if you need help with anything else.

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I bought a second hand Nokia. Which to is out of date. I like the chat keyboard on the phone. Internet does not work though. My old sim on virgin did however work fine. I have used my Blackberry for years

0 Kudos