Menu
windbag
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Battery life shortened & showing T-mobile. Non-smart phones do get used!

I have just had the replacement SIM for my PAYG old-style (non-mart) phone – an Old Samsung E250.  I like it because it does calls & texts, which is all I need, and the battery charge is OK for a week. Not in support list, surprise, surprise.

The Sim swapoout was not without hassle. For a day, it refused to send texts, plus it took ages to copy over the contacts to the phone (due to the easy copy being hidden in a stupid menu).

It now basically works, with two problems:

The battery now lasts less than two days – a week before the Sim swap.

It shows the service as T-mobile UK. Eh?
My partner, with a different old non-smart phone (Nokia), also just swapped over, with no big issues; in the same house it shows her network as "Virgin Mobile".

Looking at the sticky at the start of this thread, I did a manual search of networks. I get 3:

• O2-UK                   -> not allowed!
  • Vodaphone-UK     -> not allowed!
  • T-mobile-UK         -> Connects OK

Why is there no “Virgin mobile”, when my partner’s old, dumb Nokia does get “Virgin Mobile” ?

Could that be the reason the battery is draining much faster than the old SIM ?

Should I request a replacement SIM and try again?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Battery life shortened & showing T-mobile. Non-smart phones do get used!

That model of phone does not work well with the new SIM cards. It runs on Java firmware which has some compatibility issues. 

No such problems with earlier Nokia dumb phones, but the later Symbian Java based models do.

If you want to keep your present phone then I'm afraid you will have to change network

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
windbag
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If you, as a Non-Virgin employee knew that, why the **** didn't Virgin Media advise me of such before jovially inviting me to destroy my own service, implying everything would be OK afterwards ? They could have done so by having a list of such phones in the "guide" - but they couldn't be bothered.

I am LIVID about such casual discarding of service under the guise of "upgrade".

>"If you want to keep your present phone then I'm afraid you will have to change network"

And what happens to my PAYG credit that I have on my account?

Yet another big corporation wants to add to the mountain of stuff that goes into landfill, and kick me in the crutch for being loyal for decades & keeping care of my kit - and at my expense, not theirs.

Have they been taken over by the same team that run Sonos ?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Well they certainly have problems, probably because of a decision high up by someone in a business suit and the latest company supplied iPhone.

However, because Virgin now run their own core network whilst having to use another for signal that was a scenario that the programmers of older phones would have never taken into consideration.

Virgin, have to get off EEs core network and I can't from a technical point of view see a workaround.

Personally I think they should allow people to withdraw their credit and supply them with a PAC code if they so wish.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
windbag
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

So will an official Virgin rep reply to this, as promised at the front end of this thread ?

Or has that promise been "upgraded" ?

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi windbag,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and a warm welcome to you, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your new sim and your old phone .

So I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul

0 Kudos
windbag
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Your invite made no sense - as if you hadn't read the post.  It is a PAYG,

Quoting the questions in  your PM:

Your account number? ??? what ac number, I only have a phone number
Full name on the account ? ****
Are you the account holder?Yes
Characters 1, 3 and 5 from your memorable word. What memorable word?

If you are the account holder and cannot remember your memorable word please provide the following security answers:

Your email address? ******
The amount of your last bill? There are no bills!
The 6 digit sort code where we take the payment from each month? there are no monthly bills

The letter sent by Virgin with the SIM had none of the info you request - only the correct mobile number

As for the fields **** I can supply them, but this feels more like a scam reply than a genuine offer to help

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Windbag,

Once you have joined me for a chat I will then ask you for information you can give to help me to find your account.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Windbag,

If you aren't sure I do understand, you can find out more about me and my colleagues here .

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
windbag
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

It was heartening that Virgin were willing to replace my phone.

Was slightly surprised to receive smart phone, albeit "very basic" .

BUT

That phone is "Using the Internet" on random days and charging me £2 a pop for the privilege.

The "recent usage shows it has done so 6 times, costing me £12 for nothing I have done.

Am messaging you Paul_DN - 'cos this needs to stop & I want my 120-text messages worth of PAYG credit back again.

0 Kudos