Menu
Muppetnamedjuli
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Bad mobile reception in so many places

Got 5 new 5g Sim only deals as cheapest but really struggling to get data and voice calls at home or inside pretty much anywhere and also while on hols in Kent.

Seen on forums that Virgin don't pay Vodafone for 800 Mhz band (used for inside) and no WiFi calling. So effectively a very limited service.

Im using Netmonster app to identify closest masts etc and only band I get is 900 MHz about 2 miles away but coverage mapper shows great coverage at home.

Been on EE, O2 and Vodafone at this house and never a problem until now. And on Virgin I'm having difficulty in so many places usually indoors.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bad mobile reception in so many places

It's EE that uses the 800Mhz 4G not Vodafone on which you are now running. The 900Mhz used by Vodafone won't make that much of a difference in practical terms.

If you had previously good signal with Vodafone you should really get the same on Virgin. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Muppetnamedjuli
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

IMG_20210626_094045.jpg

Is this correct? It looks like Virgin is a very much stripped down version of Vodafone in that it doesn't have all the bands.

So why would my reception be so poor.

Have no reception now but 5 bars. Netmonster says I have no signal

IMG_20210626_094547.jpg

Then if it looks for signal with GPS it says I should be able to get 900 MHz with Vodafone but I don't get that signal. If I go outside into middle of road I do get it but that mast is 2 miles away and lots of Vodafone masts in-between

IMG_20210626_094634.jpg

0 Kudos
Muppetnamedjuli
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

IMG_20210626_095103.jpg

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Haven't got time to look at the monent but the first picture shows Virgin using frequencies allocated to EE so is out of date in your case and can be ignored  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There's many apps that are excellent at pulling the radio stack data, but not many have reliable site mapping. From a quick look at Netmonster, I don't think it's one - so I wouldn't hold much store by that.

0 Kudos
Muppetnamedjuli
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's not the mapping. It's more that the signal ie cell tower my phone (and 3 other phones in my house all using new Virgin Sims) is using a mast 2 miles away and not the many Vodafone masts around me. All apps Opensignal, Netmonster etc say I'm using a mast miles away. Well actually it doesn't connect to that either indoors but only outside.

Is anyone going to help please? The point is none of these new Virgin Sims are getting signal in London, difficult in Kent and not great in Central London in the City. Surely this can't be Virgin's new offering???

0 Kudos
Muppetnamedjuli
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Enlii have you got the Vodafone bands compared to Virgin bands as that would be hugely insightful and helpful

0 Kudos
Muppetnamedjuli
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Japitts can you recommend just one of many excellent apps that do have good radio stack data / reliable site mapping, that would be hugely insightful and helpful and much appreciated

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin definitely have 800MHz on Vodafone. It's the primary 4G layer for Vodafone (and O2) and without it there would be no 4G coverage in many areas.

Vodafone bands are:

800MHz - 4G base layer
900MHz - Mix of 2G/3G/4G
1400MHz - 4G supplementary downlink (not widely used yet).
1800MHz - 3G or 4G
2100MHz - 3G or 4G
2600MHz - 4G extra capacity on busy masts
3500MHz - 5G

https://pedroc.co.uk/content/uk-commercial-mobile-spectrum is a good website to see which networks operate on what frequencies. 

0 Kudos