Menu
Stuart_M_H
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

At end of my tether as unable to use phone abroad

For the past 3 years or so - yes, 3 years - I have been unable to use my Sony Xperia E5 abroad to make/receive calls and texts. Each time I come home I report the problem to Virgin on 789, each time they tell me to set Roaming on and international call barring off (despite the fact they are always set to this) and try downloading APNs (which I always do and they are always exactly the same as they were before). Today's discussion with 789 left me holding my head in my hands as the Virgin Rep kept saying it will work next time I go abroad and to phone them if it doesn't, to which I kept replying that no changes have been made so why would it now work and if it doesn't I can't phone 789 because the phone doesn't work abroad!

Can anyone out there help me or should I just bite the bullet and move to a different service provider?

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: At end of my tether as unable to use phone abroad

Do you have the older red or newer purple sim card? The purple one has been in use since December 2017.

I suspect as you've had 3 years of grief that you have the red sim. Have they suggested getting a new purple sim?

Does the phone register onto a local network when you arrive, and do you get a welcome to sms message? 

I may be in the minority, but never had any problems roaming. 

One possible suggestion, seeing as you have no confidence in it working next time is to go on to your account and switch roaming off, wait a day or so, then switch it back on. Just make sure that you switch it on at least 24 hours before travelling, as it takes that long to register on other networks. 

0 Kudos
Stuart_M_H
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey Paul, thanks for the response. Virgin sent me a new SIM the last time I complained and it made no difference. It doesn't register onto any local network and I don't get a welcome SMS message.

Will try your suggestion re switching on and off as the Virgin support people haven't suggested it! Of course we wont know if it works til I next go abroad. Hopefully a Virgin forum monitor will get in contact before then.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stuart_M_H, 

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch! 🙂 

I am sorry you've been having ongoing issues with your roaming. I would love to see what we can do to help and have sent you a private message so we can have a look at your account. Please reply when you can. 

Look forward to hearing from you, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
Stuart_M_H
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hetty, could you confirm how you have sent me a private message please? I don't appear to have received anything via email, text or messenger. 

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

at the top right of these community pages you will see (if you are signed in) , a purple bell and envelope next to your user name.

If you have a private message, there will be a 1 next to the envelope. just click on the message envelope.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stuart_M_H, 

Apologies, there should be a message with you now. Please look out for the purple envelop at the top of this page 🙂

Thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos