Menu
peartrees
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Are 2G phones compatible with the Virgin network and the new SIMs?

I am currently waiting for a Forum Team Member to look into my invalid SIM issues.

In the meantime I am looking at purchasing a SIM free phone.  I'm looking at basic phones and the specifications for the ones I am interested in just have 2G network capability.

Does Virgin Mobile still operate a 2G network?

Will the new SIMs be compatible with the 2G phones that are currently on the market? I note that Vodafone has a 2G Doro 1370 on PAYG, so I assume so.

Also whilst browsing on Argos, I noted someone asked a question about a SIM free 2G Nokia 105 and whether it would work with the new Virgin SIM cards. The response was that the user would have to choose a provider that had 2G availability and that this did not include Virgin. The user has since purchased the phone and it works with the new SIM.

Will there come a point in the future when 2G capability is removed from the network? Do I need to think about purchasing a 3G phone at the very least?

Thoughts, please?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Are 2G phones compatible with the Virgin network and the new SIMs?

Virgin still do 2G and will do for some time. 

2G in the UK is not being turned off as it is used for the likes of smart meters 

3G on the other hand is being phased out. No new 3G builds and bandwidth in places is being reduced to reform for 4G and 5G.  Best guess at the moment is no 3G in around 3 years

All the phones mentioned work with the new cards.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

peartrees
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, enlli.

That's very interesting. What will happen to existing 3G phones in the future? Will they stop working?

I think it's time for me to update my 2013 Mobilephone User's Guide to keep up to date with developments!

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

3G phones will still be able to work 2G.

There will be plenty of warning. Last summer Vodafone and EE said 2 to 3 years, but I suspect they are behind.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks