Menu
samspin
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Advanced Network Error Search- please remove

I am new to Virgin Mobile and for the most part, I'm enjoying unlimited data on my new tariff. However...

I'm having issues with DNS hijacking that appears to be enabled by default. When I accidently mistype a domain name when browsing the internet, I get directed to "Advanced Network Error Search". This is really annoying. At the top of the page, it states "This service is optional and you can switch it off here..."
but when I click the provided link I get an error saying "You can switch off this service, but you need to be connected to the internet via your home Virgin Media broadband connection."
There's the problem: I do not *have* Virgin Media home broadband, I only have Virgin Mobile. I have looked around your website and cannot find any guide on how to deal with this issue for my case where I only have Virgin Mobile. I'm quite irritated because this "service" really should not be enabled by default. It breaks fundamental rules by replacing errors with successes in the DNS (I do have a degree in Web Systems Development, so I do know what I am talking about).
Also: if you happen to be tethered to a laptop, and use a browser that enforces HSTS (HTTP Strict Transport Security) it automatically tries to connect to httpS://advancedsearch2.virginmedia.com , and as that server is only available over standard HTTP (as http://advancedsearch2.virginmedia.com ), it therefore gives a "server connection refused" error. This is what happened to me the first time, and I had to copy the whole URL, remove the "S" and paste it into an older browser to find out what on earth was going on.
This happens because the whole "virginmedia.com" domain is preloaded into an HSTS list by default with most modern browsers. Therefore going forward, most people who mistype an address while using your service for broadband/mobile will run into this issue more and more frequently.
This is a *very* silly mess! I therefore want to be told how to get this irritating "service" disabled entirely on my Virgin Mobile account. If not, at the very least your engineers should be informed of this situation to find a solution because it is not a very good end user experience. Yes, I know I can specify alternative DNS servers, but I really should not have to do this on every device I tether!  Perhaps you should consider retiring it entirely, and return to the de-facto "NXDOMAIN" response that *every* application in the world expects when someone mistypes an address. It really is not relevant nor helpful to screw around with this in this day and age in my opinion.

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Advanced Network Error Search- please remove

Hi Samspin, 

thanks for your post and welcome to our forums 🙂
I am sorry to hear this, it sounds like we need an i.t ticket, I will pop you over a private message just keep an eye out for the purple envelope and we can get this sorted 🙂
Thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos