Menu
zylaxepav
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Activate new SIM

Hi, could anyone on here help me activate my new purple SIM? I am at my wits end. It took me about 2 weeks or more to actually get the replacement SIM (didn't arrive first time) as I couldn't get through to Customer Services or it just said the offices were closed. I tried to find online chat - nope - nowhere to be found - or at least I couldn't find it after going round in circles on the website. I eventually got through using SMS chat. I got the SIM - popped it in - didn't work. I contacted SMS help and the agent said "I can sort that for you from this end" - Great I thought - Agent: "Is the SIM in the phone?", Me: "Yes".  That was the last I heard, despite repeated messages to the same SMS chat, I've heard nothing for a whole day.

This phone is used by my Mum, who is a vulnerable person so I'm not too impressed with Virgin at the moment. Can anyone help me get the phone activated?

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Activate new SIM

Thanks for the post Zylaxepav.

Can I please confirm if you've been able to activate the SIM card since your post? 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
zylaxepav
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily, apologies for not getting back sooner. I eventually got this sorted after about 4 or 5  days going back and forth waiting for the SMS support team to reply to my texts - sometimes taking a day to reply - and then only because I persistently texted them to reply to me. Shocking experience.

I have been with virgin for just under 20 years and the support used to be great. I am thinking of leaving. Not just because of this but because of the shocking level of support given by the website and call centres. I understand some may be due to COVID, however this has been happening for a while. The support website (not this forum):

- continually asks me to sign in even though I've signed in

- Takes me round in circles trying to find the simplest bit of support

- Has no online chat - that is visible and easy to find

- If any tests on my equipment do fail - I'm told to wait 24 hours - then what!

- has no email I can find - which is shocking for a media company

The call centre support more ore less tells me to go away and use the online support - I can't remember the last time I spoke to a support person

The SMS support channel is infuriating and very slow to respond - if at all !

I am not a happy customer - in addition to the above, my 100Mb broadband has been 8Mb for the past few days and I can't get it sorted as all the call centres are apparently closed and I'm sent online to my favourite website...where I can't get it sorted. I can't book an engineer if I try to search in the help.

I think it's time for me and VM to go our seperate ways...

Sorry for the rant - which is not at all aimed at you or the helpful folk on this forum. This is about the "official" support from VM which is now horrendous and has been before COVID.

I'm on Uswitch right now.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi zylaxepav,

I'm glad to hear you got your SIM sorted and activated in the end, although I'm so sorry to hear of the bad experience you had when using our text service.It is truly disappointing to hear of instances such as these.

I will ensure to pass on your feedback to the relevant team and we will use this example on how we can look to improve our service.

We'd be really sad to lose you as a customer and hope there's anything we can do to turn this around. If you already have a complaint raised regarding this experience please let me know, if not we can certainly get one raised on your behalf.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
zylaxepav
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Beth. 

My main complaint about the support is that it seems all over the place. The website is good in parts but needs a real overhaul. It's directed at repeatedly trying to get you to fix things yourself which is fair enough and I always do that anyway, The issue is when the online solutions don't work or don't have the correct information - as in my SIM issue - you end up going round in circles getting very frustrated. A simple solution is a dedicated online chat to direct you to the correct information. I don't know why, but the online chat (if it exists anymore) never seems to be available or maybe I just can't find it. It should be the primary channel - bottom line, and should be a popout on every page.

With VM I have the main website with no chat facility or email I can find, Phone help is abysmal.  I have the SMS help which I found on here which - although I thought was good at first, deteriorated into a farce where agents didn't even text me back for days - then not at all. The best help seems to be on this forum, but to me that's not a proper support solution. VM need to get the online chat sorted and supported well. COVID cannot be an excuse for that not being in place.

I had an issue with amazon uk the other day - online chat sorted it - moving between three agents - in 15 minutes - happy customer.

I've managed to raise a complaint - C-070920697 for my broadband issue.

Things used to be so much better.

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate that the chat option being limited at the moment is far from ideal, I understand many contact centers have had to close due to covid so there's less staff available than there usually would be - action is being taken to remedy this but unfortunately these things do take time as new staff & teams need to be trained etc.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback here & keeping us posted with the progress of your complaint - I'm confident the relevant teams will do their best to provide a suitable resolution when they've been able to review the case & get back to you (usually within 28 days as per virg.in/ccop) If there's anything further we can assist with from here in the meantime please don't hesitate to let us know.

Tom 

0 Kudos