Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Account Details

Hi

I bought my Virginmobile phone probably 7/8 yrs ago and it has done me proud. No issues with signal or faults!  Very happy with that.

However, i have managed to fail the security questions when calling the call centre twice. I thought i knew the password (and do know the first 6 digits), but the 'hint' they give me doesn't tali with the answer i know. All i want to do is upgrade my phone and airtime to a newer version and keep my old number.

I don't think i ever registered the phone to an online account, i have tried to do that but can't manage to get it done.

Can you help me with this so i can upgrade?  My sony Xperia has finally failed and the microphone is now faulty and im unable to be heard on calls.

Cheers

Matty

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account Details

Hello there @Matty414

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first ever post - very sorry that you're having some issues passing security when you give us a call. 

If you're having issues with the memorable word (password) even after we have provided you with the hint; as long as you are the account holder calling, we can ask you secondary security questions. These are questions that only the account holder should know and will be about your current package/tariff and account. 

All customers have the ability to sign up for an online account; what happens when you try and set up your online account

We're unable to assist with upgrades via the Community I'm afraid. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie,

i did try to answer the questions given. They asked me where the direct debit came from (acct number and sort code of my bank) and how much the last bill was, and what the registered email is. And somewhere along the lines i failed those questions too. I think it was the email question i failed (as the bank details are certainly correct), and i think i failed the email question as i dont think i ever registered it online, but if i did then it could be a number of emails i have had in the last 10 years - i would eventually get it right as i am the owner of this contract and know i would have used a one of three emails provided by my ISP from that time period (however these are all now disabled as i cancelled that ISP and emails associated to it). The hint was 'it's the same as my VM password' which it apparently isn't as that is the password i was trying to use.

When i goto register the number of my phone the page asks for the answer to my security question  - implying i have already set up the account online. And using what i would normally use as a security question bears no fruit, neither will the page tell me what the security question is.

Honestly, i am at the end of my teather now. My handset microphone is broken, so i can't be heard on calls, so am not going to call customer services with it. My landline given as part of my Broadband/cabletv/phone package i have almost never used and do not even have a handset to use with it. And i am shielding due to the pandemic, so can't just go and use someone else's phone.

I actually ordered a new phone, on a new account, with a new number, using my virginmedia email address... however, when the phone came through, it had for some unknown reason (as i ordered it over the internet site not by calling Virginmobile and they can't tell what happened) i got a Data-only tariff. I was told by customer services that the new handset had to be returned as there was no possible way of changing that tariff to a calls/texts/data type tarriff. So they sent me a envelope and i sent the whole lot back last week... And now, low and behold, my account has been changed! i have now got (for 12months 'free' )  unlimited calls and texts from that new handset and sim card! excellent news, oh no - wait - i sent it back as part of the 14day returns policy and am no longer in posession of it.

Teather-end

I am at a loss as to what to do next, except cancel all my direct debits to Virginmobile, and walk away. But - i do want to kep my existing number - so can you answer me this - do i need to tell virginmobile that i am leaving them in order for the PAC code i got through text message service to work with a new provider?

Regards

M

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

just to add - my existing number/handset/tariff are on a 30day rolling contract if that makes any difference
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You can close this thread.

I had a very long conversation with Azyah Mae on live chat, and they have sorted everything out, i hope!

Extremely helpful person. Checked the new account i had made my recent order on, confirmed the handset had been received back... and then saw that the credit agreement and tariff direct debits HAD NOT been cancelled by the previous person on the customer service telephone call; so cancelled them!

Entered my old account by way of indepth security checks, as the password i had was incorrect. Changed the password (somehow it had gained an extra digit in the middle of it - who knows how after 8yrs of it being the same). updated security question, updated email address, updated home address. And then upgraded that phone and tariff keeping my exisitng number!

So. i have good and bad things to say about Virginmobile. But the result is Azyah Mae on live chat, fixed everything and kept me as a customer due to their polite and helpful manner.

So i am now waiting for my new shiny handset and much more economical tariff to be sent in the next week.  I sincerely hope all goes well, and there are no more problems for the next 8 years!

Regards

M

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

phone arrived yesterday! Works too!

can't seem to copy my contacts list over, but maybe my brother will have more intuition about that.

Here's hoping i don't have any issues in the future

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update Matty414,

Did you manage to get your contact lists copied over?

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

hey

contacts list isn't proving simple, they weren't in Google contacts, i did save them to simcard, but the new phone isn't cooperating. nevermind, i'll do it the slow way.

one other thing - in the Virginmobile account for the phone i sent back, it isn't showing as cancelled or ending. Should it give me some indication there?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me. The online account can take a few days to update so nothing to worry about 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

well i had faith, i read what you wrote. and i am still being billed for the sim card data only tariff. I haven't checked the credit agreement direct debit yet, but will do in due course.

Can someone fix this?

0 Kudos