cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolutely abysmal internet speed since o2 migration

hz
On our wavelength

It's quite a bitter pill to swallow. With Vodafone, I had 5G coverage in my home and I was getting speeds of 200mpbs.

I know I've been moved over as 5G on o2 is hardly available in Wolverhampton. I get full bars 4g+ however the internet is basically unusable in most areas within my neighbourhood.

The photo below is just giving me flashback nightmares of how life was on Three network prior the move to Virgin... I think it's looking like it's time to move on, as I don't see this being resolved adequately, pardon my pessimism.

Screenshot_2022-07-20-22-32-36-221_com.android.chrome.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

hz
On our wavelength

I don't wish for this to be investigated further as I've put in a request to move to Voxi. However I will leave this thread up in case others are experiencing poor speeds. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@hz 

The speed test is showing up as a business comnnection. Do  you have a residential or business acount with VM/O2?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

hz
On our wavelength

Nope just a normal VM Mobile and home broadband customer. It alternates between VM and VM Business on speedtest.net. Still makes zero difference to the speed.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

O2 is heavily over subscribed and adding Virgin customers will not help. Much of their 4G runs on 800Mhz which is good for range but not capacity. They seem to have made little effort into switching 2100Mhz 3G over to 4G similar to EE and Vodafone.

You are right in saying there is no quick answer, even if they got their finger out now.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @hz

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community. 

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having. 

I will send you a private message so I can look into this further for you.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

hz
On our wavelength

I don't wish for this to be investigated further as I've put in a request to move to Voxi. However I will leave this thread up in case others are experiencing poor speeds. 

Hi @hz

Thank you for the update.

I am very sorry we are losing you as a customer. We wish you all the best with your new provider. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

jhuk
Trouble shooter

Me too, my highest is 9.8Mb/s but usually like the OP lucky to get 1Mb/s usually 0.1Mb/s.

Hey @jhuk,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you are getting these speeds, when you are running this test can you confirm if this is on a WIFI or wired connection?

Thanks. Joe

jhuk
Trouble shooter

Neither this is the Mobile section after all, so I am obviously talking about O2's DATA Speed.