Menu
G4DDS
Well-informed
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Abroad - Wrong APN settings yet everything appears to be working

Been abroad a week using mobile data and everything appears to be fine - surfing the web, e-mails, text messages, phone calls etc. however checking my APN settings (more out of curiosity as I suddenly remembered I changed my phone since I was last abroad) I was surprised to find no mention of any Virgin Mobile settings. The settings use an APN of gprs.base.be

I tried texting ALL to 789922 as this is how I previously setup the APN on my old phone but I got the message "Ooops - we don't recognise your device settings" and to call them on 789 to sort things out.

As everything is working I am tempted to just leave it alone (it it ain't broke don't fix it) but I am really intrigued as to why/how everything is working without the Virgin APN settings?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: Ultimate Oomph bundle
Equipment: 3 x V6, Super Hub 3
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Abroad - Wrong APN settings yet everything appears to be working

Most likely you have the settings for Proximus of Belgium. Being an MVNO Virgin have no roaming agreement of their own and use Proximus as a sort of go between.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Well-informed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I found a post here by yourself trying to find more information on Proximus - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/BEL-PROXIMUS-2G/m-p/3701637#M2241288

So, is this Ok then and I don't need to do anything or be concerned?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: Ultimate Oomph bundle
Equipment: 3 x V6, Super Hub 3
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No need for concern. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos