Menu
sufy1212
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

5g voice calls bad

When im connected to 5g the voice calls become very bad when using facetime or facetime audio even when the 5g has full bars...

Any solution to this?

Im on a sim only plan 5g, i have an iphone 12 pro on the latest software update.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5g voice calls bad

Do you have VoLTE enabled. You cannot make calls on 5G unless it is.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
sufy1212
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

ive already got that enabled and it says “this mobile network has not been certified by the network provider for VoLtE on Iphone” ?

0 Kudos
ashpole
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

FaceTime is a VOIP app and does not require VoLTE, it should be solid over 5G. I’d suggest doing a Speedtest on that connection to check its quality.
0 Kudos
sufy1212
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I check the speed already and i get well over 100mbps down and 30mbps UP. 

ive restarted the phone and ive tested it with both volte off and volte off in the same spot?

So any suggestions? My previous phone network had 0 issues with 5g calling over iphone. Should i try deleting the apn settings and start again?

0 Kudos
ashpole
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Nice throughput! I would say your APN settings are fine as you’ve got a viable 5G connection. I’d try going into Settings and forcing a 4G connection ie turn off 5G, to see if a FaceTime is possible with that - you shouldn’t have to turn it off but it’ll be a good test.
0 Kudos
sufy1212
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Very nice indeed!

i actually did that, i was forced to use 4G only and the connection became instantly better!

I have took out the sim and put it back in again, restarted phone, reset apn settings.

So now next time im near 5g ill test it out. Ill also test it with volte off and on and will let you know. I also find it weird that that error comes when turning on volte stating iphone doesnt support it when it does?

0 Kudos
ashpole
Superfast
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VM are not certified to use VoLTE but have enabled it on their weird Belgium SIMs used on Vodafone’s network, you should never see that error message. VoLTE will not affect FaceTime.

iOS 14 for 5G iPhones has a feature whereby it keeps the device in 4G mode to save battery and only switches to 5G when required depending on many factors not least of all how fast the data can be served by the distant end, eg if the download/upload max speed is within 4G range the iPhone will not switch to 5G, but if you could download something faster it’ll switch to 5G.

I assume you’re not using a VPN?
0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @sufy1212

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Is it only facetime which performs like this?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos