cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G

NealR38
Tuning in

I have recently changed my sim only to the new 5G sim only card that Virgin Mobile provide. I live in an area where 5G is available and I have confirmed this by using there map coverage on the mobile app. But I still cannot pick up 5G. It still says 4G or 4G+. I have a Samsung S21 Ultra 5G handset and it is all up to date with the newest software. So I am unsure to why 5G is not available. Can anyone help please before I have to spend 4 hours on the phone or live chat and still get no positive outcome. 

54 REPLIES 54

Couldn't comment really, my Samsung's never lasted the day with 4G, but these days I don't know how much phoning home these devices do, they sure do lots of background stuff that isn't very tasteful.

The Giggitty 1

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jpeg1 wrote:

It's also worth bearing in mind that current mobiles run down the battery a lot quicker when connected to 5G. Unless the extra speed is really needed it's more efficient to stay connected  to 4G.

I honestly can say that I saw any noticeable difference, having 4G at home but spending a day connected to 5G recently.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi JitteryPinger,

Could you kindly check the masts around my postcode? 

It's W6 8RE in Hammersmith.

I recently moved from Shepherd's Bush where I had 5G since the beginning of March.

In the new house, it seems a little bit crazy. I get 5G in the living room, but 4G everywhere else.

The crazy thing is: the 5G signal in the living room supposedly comes from a mast in my house, but it has the same speed as the 4G (LTE-A). I have been using the NetMonster App to check it. 

I don't have any issues, I just got curious when you said you could check where the 5G comes from.

Cheers!

Hi @tchobe

I've had a look and your areas is very busy for mast locations, there is 4G masts located at Charing Cross Hospital, Field Road Park, Talgarth Rd, by the A4 flyover, Chancellors Road and A219.

There is 5G masts at, Hammersmith Grove, Blythe Road, Fulham Palace road, Russel Gardens

So its highly likely that you'll switch between masts in different parts of the house, as for coverage you are right between two 5G coverage areas so will be intermittent, specially indoors and depending on Vodafone's configuration of 4G masts in the area could be tricky to stay connected with 5G.

London does have quite good 5G coverage across masts and I believe Vodafone's network team have been making some changes regarding Intra-node ENDC so that more 4G masts can also connect 5G from other masts within range.

The Giggitty 1

jdmoore31
Tuning in

Hi JitteryPinger. 

Could you have a look into my postcode please?  WV3 7EP

I’ve got the feeling I may have this issue with masts. According to the coverage checker I’m in a good area for 5G signal, but my iPhone 12 Pro never connects to 5G. 

Thanks Jonathan.

Your right on the edge for 5G coverage, and likely the signal won't be good enough to merge connections with the 4G mast in use.

I've noticed iPhones are a bit more picky with picking up 5G too because of this.

The Giggitty 1

Thanks for the reply.

I was kind of expecting that. I know the coverage checkers are a bit optimistic. 

Fingers crossed they increase/improve their 5G coverage soon. 

Vodafone are busy working on something in the background, that much I know....

I beleive the delay is somewhat entangled with a change of heart between Vodafone and O2 with regards to mast sharing, and this is further backed up by sudden stalling of O2 5G rollout and also the fact that planning applications are now showing up from O2 (TEF) in areas where Vodafone hosts the network normally.

The Giggitty 1

Hi
I have a Samsung S21 Ultra on Virgin 5G which is now O2
Would you be able to advise whether I have any 5G masts nearby as Virgins website states I am in good 5G area: EN3 4RQ but have not been able to pick up 5G at all

Hi Wholovzya,

Thanks for posting,

If you head to our service status page here 

Enter your post code then it will give you the option to check mobile coverage.

Alex_Rm