Menu
RR-IT-GUY
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

5G services / Vodafone / EE Networks

Hi,

I have just changed phone from a iPhone 7 Plus to an iPhone 12 and had a few questions.

My first question was, is it possible to change the existing 4G Sim to a 5G supported sim.

I also wanted to ask when the EE to Vodafone migration would take place?

My other question is would it be possible to use an E-SIM and how easy would it be to roll back to a physical sim if needed.

KR

RR-THE-IT-GUY

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5G services / Vodafone / EE Networks

The sim is already capable of supporting 5g but only on the Vodafone network.

If you change plans to a 5g one, the migration from EE to Vodafone should happen immediately.

Virgin don't support esims at the moment.

RR-IT-GUY
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your message ok that's good to know, I asked about E-Sims as I read that Virgin Mobile do support it but it varies on the country and the UK site was unhelpful when I searched.
0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The list is out of date as Vodafone do eSIM cards (I'm using one now)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not like apple to be out of date (or is it?). Wouldn't know as I haven't had an iPhone luckily.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Vodafone did eSIMs for Apple Watches but introduced them for phones in September last year. So yep, Apple is definitely out of date 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

RR-IT-GUY
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I do have some good news, as I have changed phone it seems that the EE coverage has suddenly got better (even though no new masts are here) even though on every other phone I have ever used it has been slow and unusable or on a good day 4Mbps down and 2UP on Three being the worse and EE except O2 and Vodafone.
Now it seems to be 40Down 20Up at a push hanging around 20-30 Down 3-10UP so it seems the iPhone 12s have got a decent Arial well at least against my previous windows phones and iPhone 6/ 7 Plus.
I did this test in the room I like to call the nuclear bunker because the walls are 40CM think and any signal is hard, to call previously I had to wire in a wireless Access point and drill it onto the wall.

Tomorrow I am going to run some tests in another building which has always had bad coverage on every provider for anything as its basically a Tin Can only to be made worse by having a lift in the middle so hopefully I will get more than my record of 47Mbps on the roof and 10 inside.
If its the case that I get coverage I won't be as bothered for the change to Vodafone even if there is a mast 30M away the EE and Three one is 100-200M away and I am in the middle between 3 Masts so its a bit patchy whereas Vodafone has full coverage with more masts than you could imagine.

I will let you know how the tests go but considering the speed increase sitting at home its promising A bit strange too.
0 Kudos