cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G not showing as an option

matthewsteeples
Dialled in

I've recently (10th June) switched to a 5G SIM only plan. I wasn't sent out a new SIM, but I don't appear to be able to get 5G on the one I've got. The device is a Nokia 8.3 (which reckons to support 5G).

When going on to the network selection pages I see EE (which would imply that I'm on the Vodafone Network) but I also see Virgin Mobile separate to Virgin.

Screenshot_20210725-185315.png

I've started a text conversation with support but Terri Triage bot appears to be having some form of nervous breakdown and just keeps repeating the same set of options going round in a circle

14 REPLIES 14

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When you go into Settings Connections Mobile Networks is 5G listed under Network Types? If not are you able to change it?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Screenshot_20210725-194726.png

Nope, not an option. "Person" I eventually spoke to was as useful as ever, saying "5G isn't available in your area yet" because my square is white, completely ignoring that all of the squares around me are red and I do on occasion leave the house. Cut me off before I was able to say that my phone still doesn't show me the option. They're getting 1 star if I get asked for feedback!

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is it definitely the 5G Version of the phone you have? The do a 4G only version as well.

Other than that if the SIM is 5G enabled you should be able to select it as an option whether you are in a 5G area or not.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I'm not aware of a non 5G version but the device name out of the box had 5G in it, and the model number is TA-1251 

Hmm, rather interestingly if I search the settings for 5G I get taken to a different settings page (looks to be the one for the SIM slot rather than the phone) which does have an option for 5G. Changing it here changes it on both options screens, but still doesn't make the other list contain the option for 5G. I'll leave it set for now and see if it makes a difference next time I go out.

Screenshot_20210725-220859.png

Phone _does_ pick up 5G: 158mb down and 24.8mb up in a speed test...! So it looks like the phone checked the SIM card when it was _first_ installed (and not 5G enabled) and now isn't re-checking it now that I have a 5G tariff

HI matthewsteeples,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Sorry to hear you're having some difficulties connecting to our 5G network.

I have just taken a quick look for you, to make sure that our 5G services are available in your area currently. Unfortunately it is advising the service is not yet available to you?

You can use the coverage checker here to confirm this.

Were you not advised by our team that this service is not yet available to you when you took out the new deal?

Kind regards Jodi. 

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@matthewsteeples wrote:

Phone _does_ pick up 5G: 158mb down and 24.8mb up in a speed test...! So it looks like the phone checked the SIM card when it was _first_ installed (and not 5G enabled) and now isn't re-checking it now that I have a 5G tariff

I'd personally try this, although it's a guess as to whether it would do anything or not.

Phone off > remove SIM > phone on so that it 'forgets' the SIM and is connected to WiFi only > phone off > SIM back in > phone on.

That may get the phone to recheck the SIM features and get 5G showing as an option where you'd expect.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

@jodi_s thanks for checking that, but as previously mentioned I do leave the house every now and then, and even manage to visit places that are blessed with coverage. I don't specifically remember what I was told when I signed up I'm afraid. 

@benmcr was a good idea, and I'd have put money on it working but sadly not. I put an o2 SIM in and all of the 5G options appeared (even though I'm not in a 5G area, because as difficult as it seems to be for support to understand it's entirely irrelevant) but when I put my Virgin SIM back in it still only shows 4G