cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Migration Nightmare.

ItsJamieLike
On our wavelength

Hello, 

So starting to see a number of posts crop up in regards to 5G issues and I am one of them, with no ability to have any support. I have seen a number of posts online now from existing customers who are unable to move to 5G services.

So I bought a Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G from Virgin back in September 2020. On the website, it clearly made some bold claims of 5G availability as soon as possible and how I will be migrated for free. (Please see the attachments that I have luckily been able to obtain). 

All was going to plan until 5G services start going live for Virgin customers. I have contacted Virgin who keeps changing the goal posts to the reasons why I can, or can't have 5G services. 

The main points I have been told is, 

1) You need a new sim card 
A - I have had 3 sim cards now. 

2) You're not in a 5G area. 
A - I have been in areas with clear 5G Vodafone coverage

3) Your plan is 4G only. 
A) I bought a 5G phone, and it was advertised as 5G.

4) You need to re-contract your plan, for an extra £13 a month for 12 months. 
A ) Why? 

5) You need to leave Virgin Mobile, port your number out to another network and then port back. 
A) Why?

6) You need to pay us £1083 to exit your contract so we can upgrade you to a new sim only plan. ( I am currently on a 30-day contract. 

The last person I spoke to told me that Virgin did not have 5G services on offer or advertised back in the time I bought my phone so my argument is invalid. I have information against this.

These are just a few of the things I have been told for the reasons why I can't have 5G services. I can't be the only person who thinks that this is ridiculous. 

Multiple people have told me that I need to be a new customer to get 5G services and that ultimately I need a new contract, why was I sold 5G. 

My simple suggestion to this issue was to apply me on a new contract for the same tariff and discount it to the same price... this appears a very common-sense approach. 

I have tried to raise complaints, these seem to fall on deaf ears. I have tried to email their CEO to raise issues, 3 emails I have sent without a response, and the icing on the cake I had an email yesterday saying "

Here’s a recap on your complaint:
Mobile > Customer Experience > Other 

And here’s what we agreed:

Resolution
Apology to customer

We’ve now closed your complaint. Thank you for being so patient with us."

When did this happen.. 

I feel like the only way I can escalate this would be with Asa/Ofcom however that seems a silly way for a very simple customer service issue. 

9 REPLIES 9

ItsJamieLike
On our wavelength

The following screenshots are from the virgin website, before I purchased my device.

5G 8 Aug.PNGAugust 5g.PNG

Hi ItsJamieLike,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear to hear about the issue you're having with your 5G service. 

I have been able to locate your account and so should be able to shed some light on what is happening. 

What I will do us private message you so we can look into this further. 

^Martin

To anyone following, have randomly two days ago received a letter in the post saying a complaint has been raised.. but no further forward to getting this sorted. 

I just want the 5G service I signed up for, like everybody else in this same boat.

Hi Jamie,
yes it seems a multi billion corporation like Virgin media has no liability for failing to deliver what they so clearly promised. The information about switching over to the vodafone 5G network and 5G in general on their website bears no relation to what actually happens.

And of course any attempts to resolve the issue lead nowhere.

keep us posted if you make/don't make any progress

So far no update as of yet.. I've had some contact from an agent on the forum who has a grasp of the situation unlike anybody else I have spoken to, so as it stands I am hopeful he can help. 

I'll keep you posted. 

Update - This is still an issue, the agent has said he is trying to get this rectified as soon as he can and that they are still having issues on a plan for me.

So as it stands still stuck on EE with no 5G.

I had a letter in the post saying, in short, "Sorry you can't get 5G yet", and a little box below saying my complaint is now closed and an apology given to the customer. 

Tried to use the text service to explain I don't want my complaint to be closed, and it just went round in loops, getting bombarded with text messages from the robot every 5 minutes asking if I want to wait, and being connected to 3 different advisors who each tell me they are going on their lunch...

Poor Show. 

Hello @ItsJamieLike,

I am sorry for the poor experience and that you did not get the outcome you had hoped for. 

Please refer to our Complaints Code of Practice if you wish to escalate this. 

Thank you

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I just don't feel like complaints are taken seriously especially for mobile accounts, I have tried several times calling 789, the agent just does not understand or help. I have asked the text chat a number of times and they never do.

My complaint was closed after I had been in touch multiple times saying not to close it.