cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50p for picture message

Trish0504
Joining in

Why have I been charged for two texts at 50p? They were shown as picture messages on my bill when there was no picture, just a short text.

6 REPLIES 6

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Trish0504,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

In order for me to look into this for you, what I would like to do is invite you in for a quick private message which I will send to you shortly, if you have not used our private message feature before you can access it via the envelope at the top of your screen.

Speak to you soon. Joe

Hi Forum team

I have the same problem, being billed 50p for short texts and no pictures. I spent a lot of time querying it last month and they said they would credit the account but nothing happened. More charges this month, I do not understand it. I hope you have a record of last month's conversation.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Rob

Hi tiswas100, 

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We're sorry that you've been charged 50p for a picture message when no picture has been sent.

It could be several things that may have caused this charge. Your handset may have changed the message from an SMS to a MMS, which is chargeable.

Can we ask you to check the message sent at the time the charge was applied on your phone and see if any of the following applies:

A text message of up to 160 characters without an attached file is known as an SMS, while a text that includes a file—like a picture, video, emoji, or a website link—becomes an MMS.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Jodi

Thanks for the reply and explaining the difference between SMS and MMS. I resume that is in the small print somewhere?

You should have details of a chat, when you get my number, offering to credit me as a good will gesture a month or so ago but no credit has been received. Can you look in to that?

What happens if I send the same text to 2 people? Does it double up the .characters because that is what it seems to be doing?

And any emoji is 50p??????????

Thanks

Thanks for coming back to me tiswas100,

We can certainly check why the refund has not been applied. With regards to our mobile charges, you can check the link here https://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/pay-monthly/pay-monthly-call-charges.html

Unfortunately, sending 1 message to 2 people will count as multiple messages so you will be charged twice. 

I will pop you over a private message to take your details and check on this credit for you. Please click the envelope at the top of the page to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi tiswas100,

Thanks for the private message. We have no added the credit that was promised and for the future be mindful when sending emojis as these can convert to picture messaging when sending a text.

If you have any other queries, please feel free to pop back here and we will assist as much as we can.

Kind regards Jodi.