Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

4G to 3G

I understand that 4G cant be used for voice and 3G has to be used. Does the mobile do this or is it done another way. I suspect,from my reading, that there might be problems with a Nokia phone using Virgin Media

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4G to 3G

If it is a 4g phone it should itself automatically drop down to 3g (or 2g if no 3g signal present).

There were some masts which caused problems with the drop-down, but things have gone quite on that subject recently.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's quite a complex issue to understand without the technical knowledge.

Basically the phone is signalled by the network to deregister from 4G and Register on 3G. This should appear almost instantaneous to the casual observer.

What seems to be happening is that this re - registration process is taking too long and the call drops

So basically it is a network function acted on by the phone.

Eventually all calls will go 4G as the 3G networks are closed down. But due to the lockdown the 2 year window for this will be extended 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies

When the phone switches to 3G  from 4G does it switch to another mast.?

I have been thinking that as I get the same problem with both 3G and 4G on voice calls it must be the phone. But if the same mast is being used for both it seems to be a mast problem. Am I right on this

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

When the phone switches to 3G from 4G does it switch to another mast.? No same mast

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice

Check for problems first

Some are longstanding at the moment due to access problems 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

CSFB (Voice fallback) on EE is to either 2G or 3G. 3G is historically the preferred technology, but there's been no new 3G installed on the EE network for several years now, so falling back to 2G is also quite possible.

It's also quite feasible that if there's heavy load on your local 3G site, voice calls could be pushed to 2G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So if the local 4G cell is on the top of a lampost that would be providing voice as well
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's not whether the site "has voice", if you have 4G-calling (Virgin doesn't) then your calls are on 4G. If you don't, you need 2G/3G for voice calls.

It's impossible to say what a particular site has, just from knowing it's a street pole. The vast majority of EE sites carry 2G and/or 3G alongside 4G. But there's plenty of sites out there - in remote areas especially - that only carry 4G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The fact that my 3g signal is not as good as my 4g signal ( -84 on 3g and -88 on 4g) does  explain why I am having trouble with voice. Also using mast location apps the 3g mast is about 5 miles away whilst the 4g thingy is local

0 Kudos