cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G signal but no connection

Fhaf
Joining in

Hi 

I’m assuming I’m not the only one with this issue. 

My data and service working absolutely fine for past 4/5 years. 

But since the new year, I don’t get a 4G connection from my home address, it shows full bars and a 4G signal but no connection/network.

as soon as I leave my area/street it works again! to use data at home I have to choose 3G from mobile data options and Itl work at a very slow pace which obviously isn’t ideal. 

anyone with the same issue and a resolution? 
I assume it’s to do with the vodaphone migration?

44 REPLIES 44

I have now been able to use the email to log into my existing account. Thank you for all of your help. 

Thank you for the update @Nic10, Glad to hear this!

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Dan69
Settling in

Heya everyone

so to answer everyones questions here about his issue, my whole family have had this issue in different parts of the town i live best thing you can do is switch network to three or EE, basically virgin used to work off the EE network which is why i signed up to virgin as i used to work for EE for about 4 years and it is the best network.

so basically whats happened is that during the bidding for 4g frequencies EE got the best one and o2 got one of the worse ones, since virgin media have purchased o2 they have obviously moved over to the 02 network, the issue is overcrowding due to the network freq and type, i've tested this out to if you run your phone from about 7-8am to about 7-9pm 4g wont work and you have to switch your network down to 3g to actually use the network which is why it times out and says you have no connection, for me this more or less happens everywhere they dont have 5g, if you use the network between 7-9pm to 7-8am then your 4g connection will work due to everyone being at home and using their wifi connection and the network is no longer overcrowded, vodaphone have similar issues as my brother is on them and has had similar issues depending on if he's in an area with a lot of people like silverstone during a gran prix. 

you can actually cancel your contract early because of this without cancelation fees due to the fact that they cant provide the service they promised, you may have to return the phone depending how far you are into your contract usually around 6-12 months depending how long your contract is, they will try and trick you into upgrading your contract to an o2 contract to fix the issue but it will make no difference as the problem is overcrowding, they did this to my brother in law and now hes using a pay as you go sim in his phone and paying for his contract.

leave virgin/o2 until they get their 5g network up and running properly (this could happen on that signal too depending on the freq they use and if they cheaped out on the bidding process) switch back to ee or three they dont really have these issues. 

i've had these issues since about 7-8 months ago about to call up, complain and see about canceling my contract with them and getting some sort of money back out of them for the last so many months.  

hope this helps 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good luck getting out of your Contract. The terms and conditions state that they done guarantee reception. I say that knowing the fights people have had in the past

As to frequencies it was an O2 decision in the past to go for 800MHz for 4G as it gave good coverage for minimum outlay. Nothing wrong with that but they needed to follow it up with other frequencies which they hold. 

There is very little carrier agrigation on O2 and LTE+ is a rare.

As far as I can tell there as been little or no effort to move 3G spectrum over to 4G as per EE, Vodafone and Three. (Those networks will have closed 3G by next year) O2 have made no such announcements.

From 2015, Telefónica have wanted to dump O2 but could not find interest, so I suspect minimum investment in that time.

On the Virgin Broadband front, Liberty Global have also wanted to sell of their interest.

What better than to combine the two enterties as a Quad Player, create synergies and then flog the lot off to a hedge fund.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dan69 wrote:

so basically whats happened is that during the bidding for 4g frequencies EE got the best one and o2 got one of the worse ones

Not quite. There isn't really any "best" or "worst" 4G frequencies, they are good at different things. Low-band spectrum provides better coverage, but capacity won't be great - high-band is the opposite. Good network planning will use a combination of frequencies to cover different areas.

5G of itself is not a fix to poor speeds, but added spectrum across both 4G & 5G, is. And 5G-NSA needs a good underlying 4G network to best function.

In very simple terms, EE do generally have more spectrum deployed on more sites, but there will always be local differences.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks