Menu
Coldashbin
Joining in
Message 81 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4G data speeds slow

In my earlier post, EC2N 1HQ. Right in the heart of the largest financial district in the world. With no Virgin data coverage.....

@Nathan_B wrote:

Can you provide me with a postcode of where the issue is persisting please?

Thanks

Nathan B

0 Kudos
danielz000
Tuning in
Message 82 of 104
Flag for a moderator

W1T 7NF also. 

As previously mentioned we've all been through the diagnostics we've no success. It's clearly a network problem.

I don't even see why you'd ask any one else to go through them tests given what's being said in this thread.... 

Moselritter
On our wavelength
Message 83 of 104
Flag for a moderator

SW1X 8PZ is a mess too.... Since 7 weeks, no download speed....

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 84 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for providing the postcodes, can you also confirm what handsets are being used and if you are using one of our newer sims or older ones?

Thanks

Nathan B

0 Kudos
danielz000
Tuning in
Message 85 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Cut it out Nathan. 

0 Kudos
perhley
Tuning in
Message 86 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nathan_B,

Please could you confirm why this information is needed?  I'm trying to understand what difference this would make.

As you can see, this thread is quite long with multiple users experiencing the same issue (probably on various handsets and most likely on the newer SIMs).  We have come to the conclusion that Virgin have oversubscribed the no. of users on its network and as a result, the 4G service provided is unusable (not unusual to get speeds of 0.001Mbps).  Every time we have spoken to CS, a different answer has been provided ranging from tower optimisation to problems in your area that will be fixed soon (no time frame given though).

It's been really frustrating as no one in VM seems to want to address this problem and many of us on this thread have already moved to a different provider.  I feel that if this isn't resolved soon (by the end of the year) VM will also see many more of its customers switching providers.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 87 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Hi there sure, as I have now raised this to the network team they will need this information to aid with their investigation.

The more information that is provided the quicker and easier it will be to have this investigation logged and any maintenance work completed if required.

Thanks

Nathan B

0 Kudos
Coldashbin
Joining in
Message 88 of 104
Flag for a moderator

I use an iPhone 8 Plus.

not sure of the SIM but I very much doubt its a SIM issue as the network speeds are fine locally outside of London and indeed fine in East London between Tower Hill and Canary Wharf.

This all indicates to me that the issue is network related in the London postcode locations mentioned in this thread.  It’s a Virgin issue as EE speeds are fine here.

You have a serious capacity issue that makes your data service unusable in these locations.

0 Kudos
perhley
Tuning in
Message 89 of 104
Flag for a moderator

I'm on a Samsung S9 and most likely using a newer SIM as I took my contract out in Sept 2018.

0 Kudos
dtreweek
On our wavelength
Message 90 of 104
Flag for a moderator

I use a Nokia 8 on the new sim.  But it's NOTHING TO DO WITH THE HANDSET OR SIM AS IT'S FINE OUTSIDE OF LONDON AND IS ALSO FINE BEFORE 0730 IN LONDON. As has previously been mentioned over the last few months by various people.

Apologies for the CAPs and Red and Italic and Underline, but I wanted to make sure the point was being noted, there are numerous data points from numerous people, it should be relatively easy to replicate, you just need to go anywhere in central london with your 4G turned on.  I'm in EC4 as previously stated.  Good to have a response from Virgin finally, looks like I got some of my Christmas wish.

Incidentally I went for a Christmas walk with my Dad last week.  Started at Fenchurch street, walked all along the south bank, then over the river at waterloo and up to covent garden, and whenever I checked my 4G is was less than 0.1MB download.  My dad on EE had full speed, he's on a 2 year old wilelyfox swift if you're interested. 

Apologies as well for the sarcasm, but i'm somewhat peeved.

0 Kudos