Menu
dtreweek
On our wavelength
Message 61 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4G data speeds slow

EC4 is still brutally slow.  It was fun to see Virgin Media gloating at O2s failure yesterday whilst this issue in the UKs capital trudges along into it's 3rd week for me.

https://twitter.com/laurenemma17/status/1070741647879749639 

Here's an idea, how about instead of mocking other, you acknowledge the issue and fix it.  It's location based as it's fine out of London, it's also fine before 7am which would indicate it's a capacity issue.  

I've been with Virgin since it was NTL

0 Kudos
Moselritter
On our wavelength
Message 62 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Best solution, I cancelled both VM SIM contract and switched to EE and Vodafone. Feels good to have internet in Central London again. 

0 Kudos
perhley
Tuning in
Message 63 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Did you get a good deal with EE and Voda?  When I tried to take out a SIM Only deal with EE, I found them to be really incompetent.  Waited over a month with communication going back and forth and SIM never arrived...  This is one of the reasons why I ended up choosing VM but given the data speeds and after my most recent call with them, they actually couldn't care less if I leave.  Definitely looking for other options out there as I don't think they will fix this issue any time soon.

0 Kudos
Moselritter
On our wavelength
Message 64 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I am happy with the deals:

EE: unlimited calls/text UK/EU and 25 GB for 18 GBP.

Vodafone: just Data-SIM for router, 50 GB for 30 GBP.

All works for me and both give real LTE internet.

0 Kudos
Coldashbin
Joining in
Message 65 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Over a week later the data coverage in London EC2N is still as slow as ever. 0.05Mbs download speed. I dared to contact customer service via text again today, spent a few hours going over the same questions as always, basically describing the problem all over again as they seemingly cannot see any notes for the previous communications, resulting in them telling me there were no known issues in the area. This despite me being told many times over the last few weeks there was a known issue but with no ETA for a fix. The issue has now been going on for a month. The customer service appears to be as rubbish as the coverage. I’ve never been with such a sub standard service. 

0 Kudos
Moselritter
On our wavelength
Message 66 of 104
Flag for a moderator

@Coldashbin: it is a scandal and having in mind the big deals they offer, it is not fair, letting the customer think, they get speedy internet. Maybe in some areas, but Central London is a mess. Try to cancel without a cancellation fee and switch to another provider. That helps

0 Kudos
Daventry
Joining in
Message 67 of 104
Flag for a moderator

They keep telling me that they are carrying out optimisation works in my area and that I will be able to cancel with no fees despite being out of my cool-off period if it doesn’t get better in the next few days (I first reported the issue when was still within it, hope they honour it) 

0 Kudos
dtreweek
On our wavelength
Message 68 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Weekly update.  Still slow in EC4, still no comment from Virgin on this thread.  Twitter have responded but not provided any solutions.  CS don't acknowledge the problem.  This is a PR nightmare.  

Find it and fix it.  Communicate! 

0 Kudos
bond2002
Joining in
Message 69 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Virgin uses EE's radio masts, have you tried checking EE's service status?

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice

0 Kudos
dtreweek
On our wavelength
Message 70 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I did that a few weeks ago it did show an error on the EE mast and not on the virgin checker so I thought that was it. However after it was fixed the problem remained.

Also friends on EE get normal speed so its not mast.  Its not device see below.

Interesting thing is the speeds are fine from 0630-0800ish and then they slow down .so that would suggest to me the system is struggling with capacity, either due to an unacknowledged fault, or due to overselling more contracts than the available bandwidth.  If it's the latter then is scandalous.  If it's the former it's incompetence for letting a fault go undiagnosed and unacknowledged for multiple months. 

I've generally have good experiences with Virgin. This however isn't.  Luckily London has loads of WiFi hotspots, but that's not the point. We pay for a service which they are unable to deliver, CS and Twitter keep saying someone will look into it, but it still doesn't show up as a fault so I doubt that it's happening.  I've asked for someone to put something, anything on the forum to say that they acknowledge the fault and are investigating, which both CS and Twitter said they would, but has not been followed through.

All I want for Christmas......

0 Kudos