Menu
Pyro_san
Tuning in
Message 51 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4G data speeds slow

Hey guys, is it still terrible for everyone else as well?

I've just measured 0.18Mbps at Oxford Circus... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
perhley
Tuning in
Message 52 of 108
Flag for a moderator

The letter is a bit disappointing if I'm being honest here. They stated that they tried to call me but failed to get hold of me which is untrue for 2 reasons: (1) they did call me during the dates that they specified in the letter and someone did get through to me. During the call, there was nothing they could do and advised that they would call me during the week and (2) they never called back...

To add further disappointment, the letter states that they cannot see a problem in the areas where I've stated I've experience the problem (and some of the areas that have been included by some of you in this thread too). As a result, they can see that I have used the Virgin data service (albeit 3G) so cannot offer any form of compensation.

They did advise that if I want to leave the network, this can be done so without any early exit fees because they haven't been able to provide the 4G service in my area. Contradictory??

I'm looking to leave the network but don't know which provider to go to. I tried joining with EE but they were so incompetent that I waited about a month for a SIM and it never arrived.

Also, just a point to note, given that there have been so much input on this thread, I am surprised that none of the mods have provided any input to help us. Overall, it has been a really disappointing experience with Virgin Mobile.

Today, I'm getting awful speeds of 0.02Mbps.

Out of interest, how long have people who are experiencing these issues been VM customers for?
0 Kudos
danielz000
On our wavelength
Message 53 of 108
Flag for a moderator

I joined them from 3 about a month ago and everything about their service is appalling. Customer support is as non existent as 4G in London.

At least 3 acknowledged the 4G issue I had and offered compensation. 

I'd certainly say that was a contradictory response and I don't think anyone cancelling their contract due to getting early 90s dial up speeds would have much hassle from them, especially if attempts had been made with their support team to rectify the issue.

The only reason i haven't cancelled my contract and gone else where is that I don't want another credit report ran against my name. 

Hopefully this thread is publicly visible and the bad publicity is enough to get someone from virgin to respond.

0 Kudos
danielz000
On our wavelength
Message 54 of 108
Flag for a moderator

I've finally spoken to someone on the support number who was actually helpful.

Thank god.

I spoke to a lady named Eden, and rather than repeatedly tell me to change settings on my phone and wait 24 hours, or just disconnect me, she, after I mentioned this thread, checked the mast I am connected to and acknowledge it is "under maintenance" and that I haven't had data access since joining just over a month ago.

She has credited my account £20 (I believe that's one months fee) and when I asked her what would happen if this continued she agreed the contract would have to be cancelled.

I asked her to document this on my account so that the next time I call I don't have to go through all the settings on my phone and can just get on with cancelling the contract.

I'll give it a little bit of time and if there's no improvement I'll move to GiffGaff's unlimited (20gb full speed + then restricted to 384kbps) tariff for £25 a month.

Better to be restricted to 384kbps than have an unlimited connection running at 50kbps.

Hopefully everyone else here has some luck with them.

0 Kudos
Moselritter
On our wavelength
Message 55 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Time for an update....

I cancelled one contract, SIM for my office LTE router. Had to pay 54£ first, after official complaint, I get compensation. So free cancellation.

Second SIM contract for my mobile phone will end automatically in January 2019.

I was a happy customer till end October. I don't know why but they messed it up. I think they want to build up their own network, be independent from EE, but that doesn't work. Which provider next? I don't know, TheTh had got offers, but not the best coverage. I will try EE top up as you go first, if this works, I will go for a contract.

So, the end of my Virgin mobile is near...

0 Kudos
Coldashbin
Tuning in
Message 56 of 108
Flag for a moderator

I work in Old Broad St, EC2N. I have had no usable 4G data service for over 2 weeks now. I have called Virgin CS and also text them numerous times. Download speeds are 0.03MBs, upload better at 8Mbs. Clearly there is an issue with the Virgin network in Central London. My colleague is on EE, his speed tests in the same location are fine with full service available. Virgin acknowledge there is an issue in this location but are unable to provide any ETA for a fix. I am fast approaching the point of requesting my PAC number to move to another network as I am unable to conduct my business whilst on Virgin. The service simply is not fit for purpose in Central London and Virgin should hang their heads in shame at the length of time this has been going on for.

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Rising star
Message 57 of 108
Flag for a moderator

@danielz000 wrote:

I'll give it a little bit of time and if there's no improvement I'll move to GiffGaff's unlimited (20gb full speed + then restricted to 384kbps) tariff for £25 a month.

Better to be restricted to 384kbps than have an unlimited connection running at 50kbps.

As a fellow agent of giffgaff don't believe the hype bro - I used to deal day in day out with people limited to 384kbps after 2GB when it used to be 6GB total - nothing has improved. 3 are doing unlimited data for £20 a month - better deal as you don't get the bottom of the barrel scraps unlike giffgaff

Used to be a constant source of headache for me - I quit because of the way we were told to fob people off and hope they went away.

Seriously, if you try it then you are a fool.. and a fool and their money are easily parted

0 Kudos
danielz000
On our wavelength
Message 58 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately i already know 3 are no good. I just left them after 12 months of bad service and joined virgin for that very reason.

Out of the fire and in to the do frying pan.

Why do you think giffgaff were capping people early? Seems counter intuitive if its a rolling contract... They were always good when i used them many years ago.

Maybe I'll start with a cheap sim and test it to see what it's like before moving my number over. 

0 Kudos
Daventry
Joining in
Message 59 of 108
Flag for a moderator

I’m having the same issue. Received my SIM on Monday and speed was dreadful until I was advised to manually selected EE 4G network.

Today it’s rubbish again. 0.2 Mbps vs 25 on Plusnet.

I’m still within my 14-day cool-off period so will keep testing. If it doesn’t improve it’s not worth for me to keep this SIM. Plusnet charges £9 for 5GB but at least you get 4G speed.

0 Kudos
Daventry
Joining in
Message 60 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Just another test performed in Canary Wharf:

- Plusnet 23.5 Mbps

- Virgin 5.77 Mbps

0 Kudos