Menu
Moselritter
On our wavelength
Message 41 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4G data speeds slow

Well, after texting VM for three weeks, they recommended to speak to the Technical Team, Level 2 (!). I should call 789 and they would refer me to the team. The guy on the phone wasn´t helpful at all... Again, he did just the usual Q&A... he did not get the problem at all. Finally he admitted, that although his systems shows "Green LTE" for my area, there is a note saying "signal optimisation" is ongoing.... he could not tell me when this will be finished. I was not happy with this information and asked for the cancellation policy. He told me that I would have to pay a fee, about 65 GBP..... I told him, that it is not my fault and that VM could not deliver the service as they did before. He was not really helpful, telling me that the signal at my contract address is fine. If another address is affected, it would be my problem....

I am away next week, so I will give them another week. If they don´t fix it in this period of time, I will cancel the contract. I need LTE for my daily busines, so I have to look out for a different tel provider.... it is a shame.....

0 Kudos
perhley
Tuning in
Message 42 of 108
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting the same slow speeds as last week, and the week before, and oh wait, the week before that!

I had someone from VM call me at the weekend following my complaint email I'd sent via resolver.co.uk. I was a little frustrated as they obviously hadn't read the email and kept on saying the same things as I've heard before:
- LTE in the area is fine
- need to perform a network reset so that it can try to connect to another tower
- etc.!!

I told him I've done all those steps and nothing has worked. I also mentioned the optimisation efforts that are being undertaken at the moment but didn't really get a proper response to that. As I was at home at the weekend and not at work, I wasn't able to test and advised that they call me during the week.

In all honesty, I don't think this will get resolved timely. All he was able to offer was compensation which I said is really of no use if 4G is going to remain unavailable. I think my only option will be to leave VM (which is annoying in itself as I've only recently just joined) and will need to look for another provider.

If I do leave, I'll be looking for compensation for the last month (at least) of poor network service and to be able to terminate my contract without any exit fees. The guy on the phone confirmed that there will be no exit fees as Virgin have not been able to provide the service that we have been paying for. In addition, they were in the media recently so I highly recommend that you refer them to the recent fines they've had to pay they say you can't terminate the contract without paying a fee.
0 Kudos
dtreweek
On our wavelength
Message 43 of 108
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the exact same problem in EC4.  When I get home to the sticks it's probably faster than my broadband, but in london I get download speeds of 0.05 which is a joke.

Interestingly this morning I came in early at 0655 I tested speed.  25mb download speeds.  Tried again at 0800 0.05 download speeds on 4G, get 3mb on 3G so switched to that.  but that's not what I'm paying for.

Going to call them now and have a chat.  

0 Kudos
perhley
Tuning in
Message 44 of 108
Flag for a moderator

So, I was supposed to receive a follow up call yesterday and when I received the first call from VM directly, I even asked them what I should do if I don't hear from anyone. They assured me that someone would call on Monday between 1pm and 1.30pm.

It's now Tuesday and haven't heard anything from them!

In addition, I was working from the Westminster area today and the 4G was just as bad as where I usually work (SW1X). Seems like there a lot of central London postcodes affected and I wonder if this is actually part of a bigger problem they don't want to admit to.
0 Kudos
Pyro_san
Tuning in
Message 45 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Still a piece of cr@p @Oxford Circus. Come on, that's getting ridiculous. Smiley Sad

Edit: current measurement is 0.76-1.71Mbps down. Much better than it was, but still, barely usuable.

0 Kudos
dtreweek
On our wavelength
Message 46 of 108
Flag for a moderator

still just as bad in EC4. I actually got 4mb download speed for half an hour at 0630. Now it's back to being rubbish again. 0.05.

I spoke to CS yesterday. They said they are investigating, I pointed them to this thread and said as their twitter team referred me to this thread it might be nice for someone from VM to put some kind of update, any kind.

They are promoting a new 200GB sim only deal for Black friday, at 0.05mb download speeds that will take several of my lifetimes to use even one months allowance!

0 Kudos
jonnieboi
Settling in
Message 47 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Agree!

Absolutely horrendous from VM from both CS and Service point of view...Still have this problem in SW1E 6AJ area!

0 Kudos
perhley
Tuning in
Message 48 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Is everyone still experiencing this issue? I received a letter back from Virgin but I'm not sure how much I can write on this forum about the letter I received.

0 Kudos
danielz000
On our wavelength
Message 49 of 108
Flag for a moderator

My Internet is still disgraceful  

Stick the letter on here. Their service is terrible. Let's see what they have to say for themselves. 

0 Kudos
oasistimes
Joining in
Message 50 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Hi guys, I recently joined VM and am getting slow speeds too, although not as bad as some. Around 7 meg seems to be the norm at peak times. I can compare directly to Vodafone as I have a 4G sim and for one speed test i was getting around 1.1 mbps on Virgin and over 100mbps on Vodafone! So yeah around 100 times slower for that one. I'm in South London. As far as I'm concerned it's network congestion. They have limited bandwidth on the EE network and they are over-subscribed. My litmus test is Youtube though, if it's constantly buffering on a basic 1080p video then it's not useable afaic. I may cancel quite frankly as I don't want to put up with this for a year. You get what you pay for.

0 Kudos