Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 91 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4G data speeds slow

you've just learnt why 5G will never work and why fixed broadband is here to stay.

The more people in one area the more devices right not only for hte bandwidth at the tower but the airtime that also has limited bandwidth.

One tower in london might have 100,000 devices on. Most people now carry more then one mobile device. In London think of... Personal Phone, Work phones, Hotspot devices, Tablets, 3g ;laptops

if there is 10,000 people in range of a tower its not unheard of for the tower to have double that in "always on" data connections.

This problem will jsut get worse and its not just adding more bandwidth as the limit is also in physics of the radio systems

0 Kudos
bond2002
Tuning in
Message 92 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Which app did you use to check your 4G speed? I guess we can all do this and post the results or screenshots here.

I guess there are so many cell towers in London it must be difficult to pin point which ones have the issue from looking at the post code.

0 Kudos
Coldashbin
Tuning in
Message 93 of 108
Flag for a moderator

@bond2002 wrote:

Which app did you use to check your 4G speed? I guess we can all do this and post the results or screenshots here.

I guess there are so many cell towers in London it must be difficult to pin point which ones have the issue from looking at the post code.

I use SpeedTest on ios, its by Ookla.

0 Kudos
dtreweek
On our wavelength
Message 94 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Speed test by Ookla. Baked into android .

0 Kudos
Kivell
Just joined
Message 95 of 108
Flag for a moderator

I've had the same thing for about 2 months. Getting full signal but data is really poor.  I called Virgin help, who then told me to reset my data setting on phone.  this in turn killed all data on my phone as it wouldn't sync to Virgin and needed a new sim.  After breaking my sim they told me they were doing mast upgrades in my area which may have impact (although I asked them that directly at the start of the whole saga and they said no). When I asked about billing - Paying for 4G and not getting it then no working sim, I was told my bills would be adjusted to reflected reduced\loss of service.  I'm yet to see any reduction in bill.  It's even more frustrating as home WiFi isn't reliable as we've just gone to PlusNet (phone is connected to WiFi but no data transfer) but that's a forum for another site.  I'm not impressed with Virgin and already moved away broadband, cancelled land line and TV.  Unless it gets sorted soon I'll also be moving the households 3 mobile accounts too.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 96 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kivell, 

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear about this ongoing issue. 

Is this happening in one area or multiple areas? 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Coldashbin
Tuning in
Message 97 of 108
Flag for a moderator

I've just cancelled and got my PAC code, 2 months of no data service in central London, nothing visibly being done to fix it, no updates from Customer Services when promised, no ETAs for fixes, no account credits materialising when promised by Customer Services. The whole thing is a complete shambles and the network not fit for purpose.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 98 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Hi Coldashbin,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear you've left us. 

If there was a fault the team would be working to get this resolved asap. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
danielz000
On our wavelength
Message 99 of 108
Flag for a moderator

Could have fooled me Martin. 

The service and customer support is an absolute travesty.

Nothing is being done about anything .

0 Kudos
Coldashbin
Tuning in
Message 100 of 108
Flag for a moderator

0.01Mbs download speeds in the heart of the City of London Financial District for 2 months. If it takes more than 2 months to identify the issue and fix, then that's a good enough reason to leave in itself.
0 Kudos