cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Sim keeps dropping in PC Sim Router

flshfrnd1
Tuning in

I have a Virgin 4G unlimited sim which I have put in a TP Link Sim router as my broadband coverage is very poor.

I get a strong 3 bar 4G signal with a 50 Mbps download speed. Which is great, but..

This connection keeps disconnecting every 10 GB or so and does not re-establish.

Is there anything I can do? Or is Virgin's 'Truly Unlimited' service deliberately dropping my connection after a certain amount of data is downloaded? If I reboot my router, the connection re-establishes straight away.

11 REPLIES 11

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @flshfrnd1,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear you're having these connection drops. However, as detailed within our Acceptable Use Policy, your SIM card is to be used in a mobile handset or mobile broadband device and not within a 4G router. Doing so may result in you being moved onto a different plan, and could also be why you're seeing these drops in service.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

So you say your data sim is 'truly unlimited' but I cannot put it in a router?

If I put it back in my phone and use that as a mobile hotspot I get the same data transfer rate. Could I then download unlimited data this way without interruption and in accordance with your AUP?

If not I will make a complaint that you are mis-selling this plan and request that my contract be terminated immediately.

'Truly unlimited' should mean just that 'With no caps, throttling or hidden catches'.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can use the SIM in a handset which is tethered or in one of those MiFi units but routers are not supported and Virgin will not help if you have problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @flshfrnd1,

As advised, the mobile SIM card and services are intended for use in mobile devices only, not routers. This is detailed within the Acceptable Use Policy provided earlier which is part of the Terms & Conditions that you've agreed to.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I accept that it is in the small print of the small print.

My point is that it is mis-selling to suggest that this is the ultimate data same, when it is just like all the other unlimited data plans. That is the point I will make in my complaint- that the advertising is misleading, and I want the contract cancelled.

Not supported or not allowed, which it what the AUP says?

Can you explain how using unlimited data is any different to using a phone I no longer use to permanently tether. I only need it for 1 pc. The rest of the house uses FTTC broadband but that is 20 Mbps and the Virgin is 40-60 Mbps.

FWIW many people must be like me. Rubbish broadband but a decent mobile signal. So whichever company allowed this would get a lot of business...

Meanwhile I am on a 2 year contract with Virgin at £26 per month and I can put the sim in a router. The only reason I use a router is because the best signal is in a completely different  part of the house so I feed it through my lan cabling.

I really don't see why a company offering 'Unlimited Data' sims would have a problem with this

*can't put the sim in the router

HI flshfrnd1, 

Your mobile SIM card is for use in a personal mobile or mobile broadband device, such as a dongle or mobile Wi-Fi device It is not intended for use in any other type of device, including 4G routers. We reserve the right to suspend your services if we believe abuse is taking place and if you are using an unlimited tariff, we may ask you to move to a plan with a fixed data allowance

Chris

Quite frankly Chris I'd prefer to move to zero tariff i.e cancellation of contract.

Somebody at Virgin should look up what 'unlimited' means.

Thanks 

Tim