Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

4G CALLING

Good afternoon, considering buying an IPhone SE. I see now that Virgin offers WIFI Calling. I can't see anywhere that you offer 4G Calling / VOLTE. I normally assumed if you offer one you would offer the other. Please advise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4G CALLING

They don't do 4G calling yet

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No. They have their own core network and so they can implement Wifi calling but for VoLTE they need to use EE and that has not been made available to them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have been told by a tech support person today that Virgin is 4g calling and also Wi-Fi/4g Transferable? also that they do offer a 5G Sim for people with 5G phones ie.Samsung.

shouldn't they just offer the 5G as standard on their Oooph Package ??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I don't take that person's word as true

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile offer WiFi Calling only at present. 4G / VoLTE is not yet supported.

In regards to the SIMs, it's probable that the current VM controlled SIMs are compatible with 5G, meaning that when Virgin Mobile launch 5G they'll update without having to swap them (again). However Virgin Mobile don't have any 5G plans yet.

This is what Virgin Mobile are saying this on the website on the 5G capable handset pages 'As soon as we have 5G, you’ll have 5G, for free' - not sure if that will apply for the SIM Only plans to start with.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Whatever they say, nobody on here has seen it as yet.

Also I see they mention 5G but for the life of me can't think of why you would need a new SIM. I've been given 5G on Vodafone and 3..both with the original SIM

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

O2 are issuing new sims for 5G unless your sim is pretty recent.

Remember also that Virgin's 5G is on Vodafone, not sure if that means 4G and lower is also on Vodafone or it roams between Vodafone and EE.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@acdeag 

Don't know where you got your information from but O2 are not issuing new SIM cards. The replacement cards have been issued from December 2017 long before merger talks and are there to allow Virgin to control their own core network. There is STILL an agreement in place to use Vodafone and at present that still stands.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You are confusing things. O2 are issuing new sim cards for 5G if the subscriber needs 5G, nothing to do with the merger, it was related to a comment about 3 etc. not needing new sims for 5G.

Vodafone are Virgin's new provider not the current one, Vodafone will eventually do everything but at the moment until the EE agreement ends they are only supplying 5G.
0 Kudos